New FIber w/ new switch existing Deco M4 Not connecting

2024-08-12 21:48:59
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20231227 Rel.80438

So, I recently upgraded to fiber from coax internet. The fiber line connects to the modem in the basement but my mesh system is located in the office for ease of hardware access. 

From the fiber modem I have connected a TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with Cat6 ethernet cables. from there Cat6 cables run through the walls to the living room TV and to the Office wall port. In the office, I have the wall port connected to the Deco M4 and also a hardline from the Deco base to a Dell docking station for the office computer. Everything is connected with working ethernet cables - they have been tested.

When everything is setup I have no internet however when I setup with coax internet to the office through the cable router to the Deco M4 and to the docking station everything works. See diagrams below. I am guessing that it is the switch but it is supposed to be plug-n-play. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Options
2 Reply
Re:New FIber w/ new switch existing Deco M4 Not connecting
2024-08-12 23:17:24 - last edited 2024-08-12 23:19:37

@TechNetNube,

It will be easier than you imagine but will require a different configuration or an additional node.

Basically, you need all your switches, nodes, and client devices to fall under the "umbrella" of a single router since a router cannot manage devices upstream of itself.

In your proposed setup with fiber, your fire tv and deco node will all fight for the one IP address given by your ISP. With both Fiber and Coax active, you must be given two IPs to use from your ISP, but it would still be recommended to swap to just the fiber connection since it would be on a completely separate network technically.

Your Choices Are:

A) Move your Deco Node Between Your Fiber ONT and Your Unmanaged Switch as the Main Node (ONT > Deco > Switch)

B) Disconnect the Switch and Run a Cable from the ONT only to the Office Router, leaving your FireTV to use Wi-Fi or needing a new cable run. (ONT>Deco)

C) Add a Deco Node Between Fiber ONT and Switch (ONT > Deco > Switch > Deco)

D) Check for Additional Cable Runs in the office going back to the Switch - allows you to run a cable from your one deco in the office back to the switch, albeit inefficient since it almost creates a giant loop. (ONT > Office Deco > Back to Basement Switch > Other Runs and FireTV)

Options
Re:New FIber w/ new switch existing Deco M4 Not connecting
2024-08-13 21:22:23

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the information. I just purchased the TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (Deco S4) AC1900 WiFi Router/Extender Replacement, Gigabit Ports, 1-Pack,  

so I can follow your recommendation to, "C) Add a Deco Node Between Fiber ONT and Switch (ONT > Deco > Switch > Deco)"

I am hoping this will do the trick. I was going to put my original M4 in the basement and the new one in the office. See diagram.

Any advice or tips on what I need to do in the app to make this work or should it be essentially plug and play (knowing I have to add the new Deco to my current mesh system?)

e28dd9f03082475f89984d1ffe5f63ef

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 113

Replies: 2

Related Articles