SOLVED - AX1800 Not Getting Gigabit Speeds Wired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-22 09:02:28 - last edited 2020-11-24 22:36:17
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200326 rel.63489(5553)

ISP: Xfinity Gigabit

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Cabling: CAT7

Hi all,

Looking for advice on where to looking for internet speed issues. When my PC is wired directly into the modem, my speed test shows between 880-920 mbps.

When my PC is wired into my router, which is wired into the modem, I'm only bringing in 91-100 mbps. 

My iPhone 12 on the 5ghz signal is bringing in about 520 mbps. 

I just upgraded to the TP-Link from an old Netgear N750 router, which was also speed testing around 91 mbps. I thought it was just an old device that couldn't handle gigabit speeds, but it looks like there's some sort of breakdown between the modem and the router(s). 

Any advice on where to start? I poked around in the router settings, but I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for. 

EDIT - SOLVED

My motherboard installed some trash software that I never knew about. It installed a "network manager" that had a "enable bandwidth control" box checked, and had outdated ISP speeds. Unchecked that box and now I'm flying. 

I appreciate everyone's responses. Sorry, I didn't realize this app was installed. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX1800 Not Getting Gigabit Speeds Wired-Solution
2020-11-22 18:34:56 - last edited 2020-11-24 22:36:17

@Bofur22 

I figured it out. My motherboard installed some trash software that I never knew about. It installed a "network manager" that had a "enable bandwidth control" box checked, and had outdated ISP speeds. Unchecked that box and now I'm flying. 

I appreciate everyone's responses. Sorry, I didn't realize this app was installed. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:AX1800 Not Getting Gigabit Speeds Wired
2020-11-22 12:09:04
The most common cause for the speed to be below 100 is the Ethernet cable. Only four wires are used for 100 speeds and eight are needed to get faster speeds. Use a quality Cat 5E or Cat 6 cable. The second most common is the device or router has a software setting that is limiting the speed. A few things to check/do, be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router, power cycle the modem, router and PC when making changes, do not assume a cable is good because it is new, try different devices when testing to help isolate the issue (BTW connecting the the PC direct to the modem is one good test you did as it eliminates the ISP and modem for the most part), be sure firmware is up to date, Check to see if IPv6 is connecting (https://test-ipv6.com/), try different Ethernet ports, when testing for an issue, unplug or disable other devices to minimize their impact, ...
Options
2020-11-22 14:55:14

@Bofur22 

Did you power off all devices before connection changes? Then power up in order modem, router, PC? If you don't do that, the MAC Addresses are held in the modem usually can cause problems when a different device is connected?

The speed on the iPhone is probably the right speed due to h/w limits and distance from the router. So the router probably is getting the correct speeds (does the router have a Speed Test capability?).

With that in mind, I'd concentrate on the PC (do you have another PC to test with?) itself and the cable connections? The router should have capability to show you the connection speeds on the LAN (on mine to see it I need to click on the router between the Internet and Clients on the Network Map at the bottom, varies by router, consult your manual). Make sure the LAN connection is 1GB, not 100Mbps. Also try a different LAN port as well. Of course if these don't change it or are OK, the cable had to be suspect. Was that the same cable you test with when connected to the modem directly?

One last thing to do, FORGET the connection. How to do that varied by OS. For instance on Windows you might need to use Device Manager to delete the adapter, then scan for h/w changes and it would find it and re-install it, although I don't think this is needed if the same cable worked in the modem. More than likely a faulty or poor LAN port connection I'd think?

Options
2020-11-22 18:15:50

@ArcherC8 

- For cabling, I'm using CAT7. This includes modem to router, and router to PC. 

- I'm using all appropriate power adapters and have power cycled multiple times, and no other devices were connected when speed testing.

I used the same CAT7 cable when testing PC > Modem, and PC > Router > Modem. 

I've discovered that when testing another PC, (let's call it PC2), it was getting 900mbps. I switched my PC (PC1) to the port on the router PC2 was getting successful speeds on, and no change for PC1. 

Options
2020-11-22 18:23:05 - last edited 2020-11-22 18:24:45

@IrvSp 

- I have power cycled appropriately. 

- From what I can determine, the router does not have a speed test. I believe it is getting appropriate speeds.

- I tested another PC and I got appropriate speeds! I swapped my PC over to the port that was successful, and my PC is not getting those same speeds. I do not believe the router itself is faulty. 

- I have used the same cable when testing PC > Modem and PC > Router > Modem.

On my LAN settings on my PC, I'm under Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed and Duplex. It's currently set to Auto Negotiation, and there is no option for 1,000 mbps full or half duplex. I'm wondering if it's a hardware limitation on my motherboard Ethernet port.. But why would I be getting proper speeds when hooked up directly to the modem? 

On my LAN connection status on my PC, under Status, it does list it as Speed: 1.0 gbps

I will work on forgetting the connection soon. I am on Windows. 

Options
Re:AX1800 Not Getting Gigabit Speeds Wired-Solution
2020-11-22 18:34:56 - last edited 2020-11-24 22:36:17

@Bofur22 

I figured it out. My motherboard installed some trash software that I never knew about. It installed a "network manager" that had a "enable bandwidth control" box checked, and had outdated ISP speeds. Unchecked that box and now I'm flying. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6708

Replies: 5

Related Articles