Use additional AX21 as an access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-04 17:34:58 - last edited 2021-10-04 18:37:42
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Howdy,

I have an AX21 router handling main WiFi duties in my apartment. It is great. However, I have old lath and plaster walls in my place and the farthest bedroom suffers from signal attenuation. I have an Ethernet cord going back there and use an old Linksys WiFi router to provide reliable wireless to that room. This worked fine and performance was good, but the old router had its own SSID and was its own network. It would be cool to just have one SSID and have devices pick whichever access point gives them the strongest signal.

I am thinking of replacing the old Linksys with another AX21. I like that you can dial down the signal strength, which would be nice since it only needs to really cover the bedroom. I also like that it is WiFi 6 and has WPA3, etc... Further, the AX21 is still getting firmware fixes.

How does the AX21 fare as an access point behind another AX21? Would it hand things off smoothly if someone moved from the back bedroom to the living room, where the main AX21 lives? That is not a deal breaker, btw. I am just wondering if this is something that it does? Would it be better to leave these as two networks so the person in the back bedroom could manually select the access point in their room?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Use additional AX21 as an access point
2021-10-11 11:58:32

@TimmyT 

Yes, you can add another AX21 to the existing AX21 network, it needs to be plugged into the main AX21 via cable and be configured as an access point (Configuration guide). You can set up the same SSID and password on both the main AX21 and the access point, there won't be an issue when the client devices roam.

However, this is not a mesh system since you can't use two routers to build a OneMesh network - Q10/A10. Onemesh only works between Onemesh Router and Onemesh extenders, but not between two Onemesh routers. Visit this link to understand more about Onemesh.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1661

Replies: 1

Related Articles