Outdoor signal extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Outdoor signal extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Outdoor signal extender
Outdoor signal extender
2022-07-19 01:08:29
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have the Archer AX11000 at home and I want to extend the wifi6 signal onemesh along my long driveway (280 meters / 918 Ft) to connect some ring security cameras to my wifi. At the moment, I'm repeating the signal with a TP-Link AC1900 WiFi Extender (RE550) and TP-Link AC2600 WiFi Extender(RE650) inside two outdoor utility boxes. And both are getting me about half way. What could you recommend me to do to reach the 280 meters? I notice that the Omada AX1800 Indoor/Outdoor WiFi 6 Access Point can reach up to 1000 meters. Is this antenna compatible with the TP link Archer AX 11000 onemesh? or should I continue repeating the signal adding two more RE550 extenders? Anyway, I appreciate any input you can provide me in this project. Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Outdoor signal extender
2022-07-20 00:27:11

@David_FlorX,

With how far you are looking to extend your network, you may want to look into physical Ethernet wiring solutions that include Power Over Ethernet. PoE can naturally run 300 ft on one wire, but this can be extended by placing in-line signal repeaters. This would probably give you the most consistent connection. While it may seem like a daunting task, running a small cable under the ground may end up being much more affordable and efficient than adding an additional networking device.

The concern that I have with you adding more range extenders to the network, is the delay that will be caused by having to pass through so many points. If the signal has to pass wirelessly through that many physical interfaces, I could only imagine that there would be a delay when trying to access the camera feed.

The Mesh Technologies that are used in OneMesh is different from the Omada Mesh System. Therefore the two systems cannot be joined together to create a unified mesh system. 

Options
2022-07-23 02:00:49

@Riley_S Thank you for your input, this is great! What do you think using fiber optic cable instead of Ethernet? I think fiber doesn't require in-line signal repeater since the signal can travel up to 6km, right?

Options
2022-07-26 18:11:12

@David_FlorX,

Unfortunately, this is now above my level of knowledge. The one hesitation I would have is that laying a fiber optic line(while not only sounding expensive) would probably require a powered converter on each side of the connection.

I do not know what devices support this functionality, as this is a relative niche part of the residential market. It looks as though the inline signal repeaters can be daisy chained multiple times, depending on the standard, before it has to be extended through an external power source.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 539

Replies: 3

Related Articles