Outdoor extender question

2024-08-06 15:17:38
Model: Archer AX4400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'd like to point an extender towards my rv out in the yard. As it stands now it barely makes the trip, and with zero reliability. I see extenders for AC1200 and similar. I'm wondering if any old (tplink of course) extender would work and if so, will it slow everything else down if it's not going at the same pace as the router. Advice appreciated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Outdoor extender question
2024-08-08 16:54:31

@Zigzag03,

So a few things to help out.

Your entire network will not be slowed by adding slower 'nodes' or extenders, only devices that are connecting through your extender will be affected. However, the lower maximum does affect the performance that will reach your RV. Range and Interference will all subtract from your speeds, so stronger high-bandwidth connections are more likely to provide your RV a strong enough signal for daily use. 

Depending on the range needed, you may struggle no matter what to reach your RV. How far away is it from your home/walls?

If it is nearby, you should be able to get away with a Range Extender, but you would likely prefer the streamlined connections that come with using an Access Point, or wired RE inside the home.

At a consumer level, the only outdoor extender that we have is a part of the Deco Mesh System, which you could consider depending on the age and state of the rest of your network. The Decos area available for Outdoor Use and offers PoE(Power-Over-Ethernet), allowing you to actually place the extender closer to the RV. For just your RV, you could use the Deco in AP mode so you wouldn't need to reconfigure your whole network. If you are able to wire the node, you could look at one of our Omada Outdoor APs, but they do require a wired connection.

Options
Re:Outdoor extender question
2024-08-08 18:23:21
Thanks for taking the time to lay this out for me, The rv is about 100' from the side of the house, and the router is another 10' inside, on the same level, and there's only one wall to get thru, stud and wallboard. I truly only want this for a wifi tstat that currently gets a weak signal without any boosting but doesn't connect reliably, at least according to the stat itself. My phone has decent wifi in the rv as it is, so I'm not too far off from getting what I need. And it can only be 2.4, so I set my guest network to only 2.4 and that's what it's connecting to. The router is the AX4400 Wifi 6, got 5 antennas on it already. I think what I'd really like is to string a remote antenna and remove one of the 5 and connect it there, and get the antenna outside the side door. Then it would be line of sight. Is that even possible? Thanks again
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 139

Replies: 2

Related Articles