Is TP-Link breaking data protection laws? Subscription to measure data consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is TP-Link breaking data protection laws? Subscription to measure data consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-14 23:16:49
Model: Deco W7200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

We're being charged by Comcast on a regular basis, for going over our monthly data allowance.

You'd think that Deco would be Smart enough to track data consumption of the devices in the home...but apparently not. Instead, you have to subscribe to a service which will apparently also track online activity, without the knowledge or consent of those who join the WiFi network.

Is that not unlawful?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Is TP-Link breaking data protection laws? Subscription to measure data consumption
2022-12-21 01:09:35

@Biggsyboi,

Our HomeShield Service is meant to provide additional protection and monitoring tools for users. The features present in the paid vs free versions is changing, depending on user demand. I will make sure to add your feedback that this should be removed from the Pro Service.

There is no legal requirement for routers to track data usage.  While some routers do provide this resource, others do not, or if they do, it may be part of a subscription service.  TP-Link and its products are in complaisance with local laws and statutes that govern routers and other networking products.

We will not collect the browsing history of any of your devices.

The TP-Link product itself may record the browsing history and access time of your device only when you turn on the Parental Control feature on our router or Deco products and set your client device under Parental Control to better monitor its traffic.

The browsing history of the device is only stored on the TP-Link product for you to review. It won’t be uploaded or stored on TP-Link cloud servers.

AND

To opt-out of APP/Web activity tracking, you can go to the relevant mobile app to turn off the related switches.

For the Deco and Tapo app, go to About>Privacy Settings to opt-out of activity tracking.

For the Tether app, go to Settings>About>Tether Usage stats to opt-out of activity tracking.

To opt-out of data exchange with service providers, you can disconnect your TP-LINK ID from the service providers, such as disconnecting your TP-LINK ID from Alexa/Google Assistant.

While it wouldn't track each device individually, your ISP should provide a meter or statistic for your overall usage during that month, which can often be set to alert you when approaching your cap.

Keep in mind, HD video content is at least 2.5Gb/hour, with 4K Video often approaching 6Gb/hour, so it is only becoming easier to go over your monthly cap. Fortunately, most devices, such as PCs or Streaming Devices, provide a network setting for metered networks. Game Consoles also allow limits to be set on their total bandwidth usage. It is recommended that if you are looking to prevent overages, you first look for your data-saving settings on each client device first.

Lastly, most ISPs offer unlimited data caps for an additional $50 per month. If you are often going over your cap, this is often well worth the cost and stress that your existing plan has.

Options
Re:Is TP-Link breaking data protection laws? Subscription to measure data consumption
2022-12-22 19:08:11

@Riley_S Thanks for your response response, some of it made sense but not all of it.

Our goal is to just measure the data consumption of each device connected to the network, WITHOUT collecting in depth (and quite frankly, seemingly invasive) details on what other people are doing online.

I didn't suggest there was a legal requirement for your routers to track data usage - I'm saying that if I pay TP-Link to sign up for the invasive subscription service, you can then collect identifiable, personal data without the consent of those users, and I can even do it without their knowledge, too...I don't understand how this is not violating data protection laws and it's a bit behind the times to not have access to a simple stat like this and instead be forced to sign up for something this in depth and invasive.

Other users on the network don't have the app to opt out of tracking, but it sounds like this is just the single option for everybody, and not like as if everybody downloads the app and disables website tracking whilst keeping data consumption tracking active?

Unfortunately, our ISP, Comcast, are the ones saying we're going over our data allowance every month with extra on our bill, and they only offer data caps up to 1.2TB / month.

Options
2022-12-22 19:27:19

@Biggsyboi,

I will check to make sure, but I believe that any setting changed in the Deco App applies to the router, not the device you are changing the setting on. You can check if the toggle is automatically disabled on multiple devices when the toggle is flipped to verify. When it comes to usage tracking, it is most often simply used for identifying malicious URLs or requests that are being made on the network; such as if a Smart Plug had a security vulnerability and is sending data outside the network to a known malicious service. 

And that is surprising that Comcast doesn't offer an add-on for Data Caps beyond the 1TB. I would double-check to see if it is added as a separate service. Many users will be going over this data cap, especially users who are working from home and have to deal with large files.

Options
2022-12-27 16:52:06

@Biggsyboi 

Hello Biggsy.  I wanted to jump in and add to this conversation because of your specific concern.  The paid feature "Visited URL Analysis" is a network admin level that monitors websites visited and which ones were malicious.  It's not accessing anything that was viewed or downloaded only the URL visited.  This is basically looking at a browser history with the added benefit of knowing which sites are likely malicious and which are safe.  Additionally, as this is a home network and not a public network the general consensus is that as the network owner you have the right to know what is being accessed on your network and no laws are being violated. Especially since you are potentially liable for any illegal activity that happens on your network.  Think if you have a family member illegally downloading.  They are using your network and ISP service.  If found your service would be affected and since you are the owner potentially liable for the activity.  

Deco does not have any bandwidth controls.  You are not able to limit the traffic to a device or cut off internet usage after a certain threshold is hit.  I see Comcast/Xfinity was mentioned as your ISP.  You can enroll in unlimited data if the overage is your concern and the reason you want this feature.  More info on that here.  If their cost is too much, as it was for me for some time with Cox Communications, I would suggest limiting the resolution of content being streamed.  For example, set Netflix to only Standard Definition.  SD streaming = approx 0.7 GB per hour, HD = 3 GB per hour and Ultra HD/4k = 7 GB per hour.  Since standard data limits are 1TB or 1024 GB you can see how higher resolution adds up quickly.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1030

Replies: 4

Related Articles