DHCP Functionality For Deco X4300 Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-07 23:02:12
Tags: #Insanity
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220707

Hi,

Just want to verify that the Deco X4300 Pro provides no ability to control "Smart" (roflmao) DHCP functionality. I see firmware that exists for other models like the M5 that allow you to turn this off IF YOU USE AP mode (why not router mode?), but it doesn't appear that this is available for the X4300? Are there plans to provide this functionality?

Also want to verify that if I install a DHCP server for my newly setup Windows Active Directory, if that DHCP server is lost for even a short period of time (as Deco uses a ridiculously short non-standard DHCP lease period), the Deco will "smartly" take over as a DHCP server and start feeding itself as the gateway and a completlely different subnet to all of my poor Active Directory clients, wreaking havoc on my entire network?

If this is the case, then I wasted a lot of money for a product that has a DHCP implementation the likes of which I have never seen in my 20 years of configuring 100's of wireless routers/APs for friends, work and myself. IN THAT TIME I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT ONE COULD NOT DISABLE DHCP  DIRECTLY THROUGH CONFIGURATION ON THE ROUTER / AP.

Looking forward to your confirmation of my expensive paper weight!

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Options
5 Reply
Re:DHCP Functionality For Deco X4300 Pro
2023-02-09 06:58:03

Could someone please verify that the X4300 Pro has no method for turning off DHCP so that I can use it on a network that has a Windows Active Directory based DHCP server?

If this is the case I would like to know so I can move on from this hardware.

Thanks,

Matthew

Options
2023-02-15 22:57:18

@Confuzius,

Our team is looking into your questions, but I have found a few things that may help:

One - I believe you are correct that the SmartThe Feature for to toggle the Smart DHCP option is being added in the most recent firmware update; which also adds many other features such as node selection and signal preferences.

When it comes to router vs AP mode with Decos, most of the functionality used to manage the network will be unavailable, as your main router needs to manage those connections and will be the only device with all the information.

By default, the Decos in AP mode will not use a DHCP server for clients. The Smart DHCP setting simply periodically searches the network for a server and if one is not found will begin using its own server to reconnect devices.

In the most recent feature update that is slowly being rolled out to decos, the toggle is added to disable this while the Deco is in AP mode. Our FAQs mention that you should verify that the DHCP options are disabled for the deco network, even though this should be done by default but may provide an option for auto mode vs disable.

Also, make sure that you are using the Deco app for setup, as not all settings are available from the WebUI.

Options
2023-02-18 17:17:41

@Riley_S 

So to be clear, the X4300 Pro firmware does not currently have any way of turning off the Smart DHCP feature while in AP mode?

If for whatever reason it cannot find a DHCP server on the local network, it will start its own and assign any connected clients new ips in the default range of the Smart DHCP server?

Thanks,

Matthew

Options
2023-03-06 13:08:07
Bump. It's been two weeks.
Options
2023-03-18 12:11:02
Very disappointing. I spent a premium $350 for what I had assumed would be the most powerful Deco, and this is what I get for customer support. I would suggest anyone coming across this post, do not purchase TP-Link products because of the lack of customer support. I personally will never purchase a TP-Link product again.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 589

Replies: 5

Tags

Insanity
Related Articles