AX6000 no longer allows WiFi devices to connect with encryption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 06:34:09 - last edited 2023-03-22 06:54:38
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello.

Before I begin, let me state that I have already contacted support and requested a replacement for this unit.  But this one has me a bit stumped as to why its happening.

I bought this almost 2 years ago.  (warranty ends next week)

Today, the WiFi dropped all devices.  Now, I don't run a lot of devices, but I have a smoke detector, thermostat, 2 phones and a tablet usually connected, along with an echo.  Earlier, all of them stopped working.  Up till now, this AX6000 has been a solid router, working like a tank.

I pick up one of the phones, try to reconnect, says the password is wrong.  I shrug, I re-enter it.  Still wrong.   Log into the router, WiFi password set in the router is the same one I'm trying to enter on the phone.  So I try the other phone, then a third that's rarely connected, then the tablet, then a laptop.

NONE of them would connect.  All said the password was wrong.

OK.  I unplug the router, let it sit.  Plug it back in.  Same thing.

Went in and changed the WiFi password to something else.   Same thing.

Changed it back.  No change.

Change the smart WiFi to off and separated the networks.  No change.

Disabled the 5G leaving 2.4 on.  No change.  Swapped them around.  No change.  Disabled encryption completely.  FINALLY got a connection to work!   OK...

So tried different encryptions.  None of them worked.  OK.

Reset the router to factory defaults.  Used the default WiFi and password.  Nope, wrong password again.  Updated firmware to the latest edition.  No change!

Oh then it gets better.

So I said fine! I will setup an older spare router as a dumb AP and connect it to this AX 6000 router using a LAN cable.  And I set that router (an Asus no less) as an AP, turned off its DHCP server, and connected the AX6000 to one of its LAN ports after turning off the wireless completely on the AX6000.   I enabled the WiFi with the same network name and password I had been using with the AX6000 onto the Asus, so that my hard to reconfigure hardware could reconnect easily.

Guess what?  IT WAS STILL TELLING ME THE PASSWORD WAS WRONG.  Even though it clearly wasn't.  And I was now connecting to the Asus router's WiFi!

So then, I got the bright idea to connect that Asus to the internet directly, bypassing the AX6000 (with the Asus still set as a dumb AP).  THEN IT WORKED FINE!

So what the hell in that AX6000 router could muck up a wireless SO BAD that it could even bork another router's wireless connection encryption???  THAT is my question.

The hilarious part, is that the LAN traffic on the AX6000 seems unaffected.  Anything hardwired works fine.  But apparently anything with wireless gets borked connected to it, even with a cable!

Any ideas?

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX6000 no longer allows WiFi devices to connect with encryption
2023-03-22 20:56:57 - last edited 2023-03-22 21:02:35

Okay, so I feel like an idiot. After fighting with this for nearly a day, come to find out that SOMEHOW, my camera system was the problem all along.

Not exactly sure how, but apparently it was causing some sort of network interference, causing WiFi disconnects and some other disruption. After playing with 2 different other router setups and monkeying with it for hours, a random decision to unplug the camera system from the network occurred with immediate results. After rebooting that, everything seems to have smoothed out!

I have since reconnected the AX6000 after completely restoring its configuration. Working fine now. Ugh! Still begs the question though. How could a simple 4 camera IP DVR based system hardwired to the network cause that kind of havoc?

Options
2023-03-22 23:26:27

@DTMAce,

I cannot tell you how many people were perplexed by your first post. I am glad you were able to figure it out, as we knew it had to be something obscure causing the issue since we have never heard of this behavior.

Can you provide more information regarding the NVR, its brand, your protocols(RTSP?, ONVIF?), and how the NVR/Cameras are connected to the network so I can look for some additional information on the topic. 

If the NVR can connect directly to the cameras, you may want to make sure that the IP addresses are not interfering with the DHCP server of the router. Most NVRs allow you to configure cameras by connecting them to EITHER the NVR directly or just through your regular network. You may try setting static IPs for your cameras to see if the DHCP packets were the cause of the disconnects.

Also, do you know if the cameras were able to maintain their connection to the NVR when a disconnect occurred, such as temporary outage in your recording for the time?

Options
2023-03-23 02:24:56

@Riley_S 

Interestingly enough, this has occurred once before, probably over a year ago.  But not to this degree. It was simply causing a network disruption in that you couldn't get to the internet that time.  I rebooted the system and went on till now.

The unit I'm using is one of probably a dozen cheap brands that use the XMeye app for the phone to access it.  To be honest, I hate their app, hate how it works (forced ads that you have to manually disable about once a month), even though as a basic camera app it works.  The brand of the system is Sannce.  Low tier, cheap, but they work usually.  This particular one has its own built in PoE LAN ports and assigns its own address scheme.  But been thinking about upgrading it, I have a nice GW DVR unit that was given to me not that long ago. Time to swap to it. I just have to reset it.  Anyway

I run a multi-layer network here.

My primary internet is Starlink. (gen 1, the round dish)  I am currently using its router, though I haven't in the past.  But its easier to use it to monitor its status.  However I do not use the WiFi features, just the ethernet port.

That is fed to a TP-Link ER-605 gateway.   That gateway in turn feeds 3 individual networks over the property. I use CPE-710s to bridge the property (the only CPEs I could find with 1GB ports), and have individual networks with their own unique IP schemes at each location. (one is my folks place, another is the house)

This building/office is the hub of this network.  The AX6000 is directly gated into that ER-605.  The other two networks use the CPEs to bridge the ER-605 to their respective routers.  They are using simpler routers, AX1200s.  I usually run the WiFi here at medium power, the office is small.

What's nice is, I can pull the full speed potential of the Starlink internet at any location on the property.  Up to and even over 300MB at times, no matter what network I'm on or building I'm in.  Which is great.

Everything that's in my office here, is connected under the AX6000, so the WiFi devices, the camera system, etc.  But its not a lot at one time. I think my folks have about twice the devices I do.  LOL

Anyway.

During all this non-sense I was dealing with, all of the other networks outside of the AX6000 were working perfectly fine. Which was good, as that was how I intended the network to behave.

Since that last update above, everything has been working just fine.  I'm just so mad at myself for not thinking of that being the cause, because it was SO weird.  It wasn't till I was tearing everything apart in frustration that I realized what the culprit was.

But once it was powered off and back on, no more problems.  What's weird is that I have most of the hardware set to automatically restart.  What sort of clued me in was that the camera system wasn't taking a new IP.  (not showing in the client list on any router), even though it was working on the screen and recording and appearing normal. To be honest, its running whatever default protocols it was set on and I didn't check that for you yet..  But as I said, it has its own internal network to the cameras using 23awg solid copper Cat 6e or was it 7? (the whole building is wired with it actually), and its IP is vastly different than what I set my AX6000 router to.  I try not to follow conventional IP structures too much.  Too easy for things to get weird or be guessable.

I was swapping cables, switches, routers, ugh.  And ALL of it was because of that dumb camera system.

If you don't know, I run a small computer shop, I install Starlink for people up here in the remote north of Michigan these days (have done around 30 of them), and am about the only local computer repair guy around that will actually go to the customer and fix things.  Been doing this stuff for over 30 years.

And even I get tripped up once in a while I guess.  LOL

Hope that helps.

Options