Deco guest network super slow on 2.4ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-20 18:38:28
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210121 Rel. 54042

I have the guest network on my X60 mesh set to 2.4ghz for compatibility with flaky devices (specifically, my Ring devices and garage door openers that only work on the 2.4 band). The problem is that even though these devices connect at around 100mbps to the APs, the actual throughout is only around .25 mbs with very few devices on that band. If I switch the guest network to 5ghz, I get the full 100-200 mbps of our Starlink internet.

I've verified this with my phone multiple times (which shows the same results) but am stumped. I'm not sure how to fix this, as it seems to be a TP-Link implementation issue of the 2.4ghz band.

My X60s are in AP mode, as my network is dual WAN and the TP-Links simply cannot manage this with the things I need like PBRs for different devices.

I have the guest network on my X60 mesh set to 2.4ghz for compatibility with flaky devices (specifically, my Ring devices and garage door openers that only work on the 2.4 band). The problem is that even though these devices connect at around 100mbps to the APs, the actual throughout is only around .25 mbs with very few devices on that band. If I switch the guest network to 5ghz, I get the full 100-200 mbps of our Starlink internet. I've verified this with my phone multiple times (which shows the same results) but am stumped. I'm not sure how to fix this, as it seems to be a TP-Link implementation issue of the 2.4ghz band.

My X60s are in AP mode, as my network is dual WAN and the TP-Links simply cannot manage dual WAN and the things I need like PBRs for different devices.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco guest network super slow on 2.4ghz
2023-08-21 08:56:41

@Cabuzzi 

Hi, Did you mean the 2.4 GHz band of Guest was only 25m/s out of 100m/s bandwidth from the Deco?

Frankly speaking, it is not too bad. There are only 11 channels available for 2.4ghz and other 2.4Ghz bands nearby could interfere with Deco even though there are few devices on 2.4Ghz of Deco.

Are you able to help me check the link speed on the device when it is on a 2.4 GHz guest?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

It is also suggested to run "Network Optimization" once under Deco APP>More.

If possible, you could also download a Wi-Fi analyzer to check the nearby wireless interference.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco guest network super slow on 2.4ghz
2023-08-21 21:49:54

@David-TP No, I'm specifically talking about the throughput. I originally tried to post a link to speedtests from various devices, but the URLs were blocked. The actual link speed of say, my phone, when connected to the guest network set to 2.4ghz is 100mbits. Even though it's connected at 100mbits per second, I'm only seeing 0.25mbps of actual throughput when conducting a speedtest. If I use that same device (and I tested several) on the guest network switched over to the 5ghz band, I connect at 1.2gbps and get the full bandwidth of our internet connection (typically 150-250mbps from Starlink).

I forgot to mention I already ran the Network Optimizer (which changed me from channel 2 to channel 9), with zero change in performance. I can run wifi analyzer, but we live out in the country and wireless of any type (wifi, bluetooth, RF headsets, etc) typically work many times better than they do in a normal neighborhood with more network congestion.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 668

Replies: 2

Related Articles