some devices can only be accessed if on the same wifi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-21 15:05:05
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.7 build 20230728 Rel 54059

i have a 3-puck Deco 5300 that is in wireless mesh mode. on this mesh, i have 30+ devices on the Guest network that all work great.
however, 2 devices (1 camera and 1 smart plug), also on the Guest network, have an issue. Both devices have internet and network connectivity, so they are joined to the wifi properly. However, when i try to access them from an application on my phone (iphone), i can't unless i am joined to the same wifi the devices are on.

So in summary:

* both camera and smart plug have internet connectivity and send me alerts and notifications (meaning the devices themselves can access the internet and make outbound API calls)

* both camera and smart plug are joined to the Guest wifi network

* i can access camera BUT NOT the smart plug from my mobile phone when my mobile phone is on mobile data (i am far from the house for example)

* i can access both camera and smart plug from my mobile phone when connected to the same Guest wifi network

* i cannot access neither camera nor smart plug when connected to the main deco network at the house (not the guest network)

can you please help. what's going on here? is there a setting somewhere i am missing?

Options
2 Reply
Re:some devices can only be accessed if on the same wifi network
2023-09-21 18:33:16

@Michmike,

This is generally the intended behavior. 

The Guest Network for Deco Networks will automatically isolate the devices on the Guest Network from seeing the devices on the main network, and vice-versa.

I would assume that your smart plug has lost its cloud connection, so it is connected to the network but does not have a cloud connection - meaning it can only be controlled while your phone is inside that isolated pool of devices (guest network). Your camera likely has its cloud connection or is effectively communicating with the internet and back to your phone. The behavior of your plug is a bit odd, and is most likely dependent on the type, what brand / model of plug are you using?

The only thing being blocked is the communication between your wireless networks and this is the intended function of the guest network.

I would recommend checking for firmware updates and seeing if your version has received the IoT network feature, as this will not isolate the devices by default and will allow your phone to communicate with the devices on the IoT network. If you want to isolate a device on the IoT network, there will also be a new "Device Isolation" feature on the security page.

Options
Re:some devices can only be accessed if on the same wifi network
2023-09-23 21:29:58

@Riley_S i did get the IOT update and enabled it. moved the devices on that network and everything is working great. thanks!

Riley_S wrote

@Michmike,

This is generally the intended behavior. 

The Guest Network for Deco Networks will automatically isolate the devices on the Guest Network from seeing the devices on the main network, and vice-versa.

I would assume that your smart plug has lost its cloud connection, so it is connected to the network but does not have a cloud connection - meaning it can only be controlled while your phone is inside that isolated pool of devices (guest network). Your camera likely has its cloud connection or is effectively communicating with the internet and back to your phone. The behavior of your plug is a bit odd, and is most likely dependent on the type, what brand / model of plug are you using?

The only thing being blocked is the communication between your wireless networks and this is the intended function of the guest network.

I would recommend checking for firmware updates and seeing if your version has received the IoT network feature, as this will not isolate the devices by default and will allow your phone to communicate with the devices on the IoT network. If you want to isolate a device on the IoT network, there will also be a new "Device Isolation" feature on the security page.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 2

Related Articles