Connection Preferences do not stick

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-09 02:15:09
Tags: #Firmware Update #Client Devices #Preferred Connection
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230522 Rel. 68968

I bought a 3 pack of X55 from Amazon early this past summer, what I got was hardware ver 1.26, not 1.6, didn't have a choice thats what they sent me.

Overall I am very happy with the system and its performance, VERY FEW issues.

It last upgraded the firmware to the current build for ver 1.26 dtd 5/22/23 which included a separate IoT network feature in addition to guest network. I have a lot of wyze cameras(25) around outside my house, and other devices running on that network, they all work fine, but some keep changing from one node to another randomly, even though I have them all set to preferred connnection of just one of the nodes, depending on their location. Mesh Technology option is OFF for each IoT device as they are static and don't move. The app specifically says for each device that "This client will only connect to (specified) Deco". All 3 X55 nodes are wired backhaul with two tplink unmanaged switches between the main and the other 2. All IoT devices work fine otherwise.I will say that my house is only 1800 sq ft so 3 nodes are overkill but I wanted strongest signals for each device.

I can get them to stick temporarily to the preferred node by running the network optimization in the app but within a day or so they seem to be back to random nodes.I'm hoping the next firmware update may fix that.

Wondered if anyone else has this issue or has fixed it more permanently.

Does anyone have any idea when the next firmware update might be for X55 ver 1.26?

On a related note, what would happen if one set up 2 or more mesh nodes in the same room?? I mean, that would be silly but ideally it should work and you should be able to specify which node you would want preferred for any device connected, right?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Connection Preferences do not stick
2023-11-10 06:49:39

@cattrain 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Are the Wyze cameras the only devices that don't respect the connection preference?

It should work if there are more than one Deco Mesh units in the same room but their Wi-Fi coverage are overlapping. We could still set the connection preference but the mobile clients will make final connection choice by themselves.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-10 12:07:46

@cattrain I believe that "preferred connnection" will not be effective for a device having Mesh Technology option OFF.

By disabling Mesh technology for a device, you instruct the Deco to avoid communicating with the device about wifi roaming. 

Why do you want to specify preferred connections?  If you allow Mesh technology, the Deco will automatically attempt to balance the devices in an optimal way.

Options
2023-11-14 04:41:24

@yves_b 

The devices are all static cameras, they do not roam, so mesh is not required for them, thats why I turned it off. Thats why they offer that option to turn mesh off and prefer a connection to a specific node.

As it stands now, Deco seems to be choosing which device on which node, but sometimes the device is farthest from a given node and has less bars/signal for its connection. For the cameras I'm trying to obtain full 3 bar signal for each device from the closest node. But they just don't seem to stay. Everything works fine otherwise so I don't have too much to complain about.

Options
2023-11-14 04:43:43

@David-TP 

Yes the wyze cams are the only devices which don't respect the preferred conn. All other IoT devices are wired with network cable so they don't matter.

Options
2023-11-14 06:44:29

@cattrain 

I believe that by turning mesh off, you let the device decide where to connect.

If you want the Deco to decide, you must turn mesh on.

Options