Move working tp-link Deco mesh network from working T-Mobile gateway to new Verizon gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Move working tp-link Deco mesh network from working T-Mobile gateway to new Verizon gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-19 01:37:47
Tags: #Backhaul Method #Verizon Gateway
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 2.28

I'm again trying to help my next door neighbor with his working home network.

As described in my previous post back on 4/16/23 (3-node Deco M5 mesh configuration behind T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway) he has been using the Deco M5 mesh network for the past 10 months with cellular internet service via a T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway, but has been very disappointed with the T-Mobile service in terms of reliability and bandwidth. We are in a fringe LTE/5G service area for T-Mobile and he does a lot of 4K TV content streaming and I think his bandwidth is constantly being de-prioritized and occasionally reverted to LTE service.

His dissatisfaction with T-Mobile's internet motivated him to order a Verizon Home Internet gateway on a 30-day money-back trial which he asked me to install.  Back in April when I installed his T-Mobile gateway and configured his tp-link Deco mesh network, I disabled the T-Mobile gateway's WiFi and configured the Deco mesh in router mode using a wired ethernet backhaul between the gateway and mesh nodes.

I was wondering if I should simply disconnect the wired link between the T-Mobile gateway and 1st Deco node, and then reconnect the 1st Deco node to the Verizon gateway.  But before reconnecting the Deco mesh to the new Verizon gateway, should I connect my laptop beforehand to rename the gateway, see what kind of signal he gets from Verizon, and do anything else?

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Move working tp-link Deco mesh network from working T-Mobile gateway to new Verizon gateway
2024-02-20 03:51:01

@BriGood 

Hi, I see the Verizon 5G Internet Gateway is also a wireless 5G router, quite like the T-Mobile gateway. The previous configuration procedure should work for Verizon as well.

https://www.verizon.com/content/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/verizon-5g-internet-gateway-user-guide-rev.pdf

But it would be great if you could get a laptop and log into its web management page. The laptop should be able to get internet automatically.

If you noticed any advanced features on the  Verizon 5G Internet Gateway that you want to keep, you could also set Deco into Access Point mode:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Move working tp-link Deco mesh network from working T-Mobile gateway to new Verizon gateway
2024-02-20 18:03:53

@BriGood Thanks, David-TP. 

I set up the Verizon gateway using my laptop connected to gateway Lan1 and after the expected blinking light software update I was able to connect with the laptop both by wired ethernet and the gateway's WiFi.

Looking at the cell signal strength indicator, LTE is -89.5 dbm and 5G is -102.5 dbm.  Running various connection speed tests I get download speeds from 30.7 to 42.4 mb/s and upload speeds of 6.77 to 7.63 mb/s.  To me, this speed range looks like LTE rather than 5G speeds, and way less than the maximum speeds my neighbor reports with his existing T-Mobile gateway, but more than the lowest T-Mobile speeds during time of network congestion or contention.  

At this point, I'm not sure it is worthwhile swapping out his T-Mobile gateway for the Verizon gateway, unless I can figure out how to force the gateway to use the -102.5 dbm 5G signal it is reporting.

Any ideas?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 483

Replies: 2

Tags

Backhaul Method
Verizon Gateway
Related Articles