Can't contact Deco S4 to router thru switch?

2024-07-08 21:16:40
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I set up a Deco S4 successfully by plugging its ethernet cable into my router. I also successfully set it up after a reset, with this topology: 

Router -- tp-link switch -- WiFi access point -- Deco S4

However, I need to do this: 

Router -- switch -- Deco S4

Which doesn't work, at least with the 8 port tp-link TL-SG108 switch.  It can't see the Internet when I reset it and try to set it up from scratch with this topology. 

Is this a known issue? you'd think tp-link switches would play well with Deco?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't contact Deco S4 to router thru switch?
2024-07-08 21:18:47

Forum won't let me update, but to clarify, the WAP in the middle of the first diagram is connected to the switch by its WAN port and to the Deco by its LAN port.

Options
2024-07-09 17:58:00

@SwitchesTrouble 

Generally, the topology you want to achieve (Router > Switch > Deco S4) should work without a hitch - as long as the Deco S4 is set up in Access Point Mode and connected to the router via a LAN port.

What is the model of the WAP between the switch and Deco in Diagram 1? If it is equipped with both WAN and LAN ports, this may indicate the device is a Wi-Fi router. If so, depending on its configuration, as well as the Deco's configuration (Router Mode or AP Mode), could affect the outcome of your network's overall connectivity.

Options
2024-07-09 18:29:42

@Ryan  yes, the WAP has a WAN port and LAN ports. And my mistake: the thing I called a router is a cable modem with 2 LAN ports.

So actually, I want to do this, connecting 2 buildings on the site:

Cable modem (in outbuilding) > WiFi router > tp-link switch > 50m cat6 cable between buildings > tp-link switch (in main building) > Deco

I'm not onsite now so I don't have the wifi router model; it came from the ISP.  The Deco will have other Decos meshed to it.

Would you expect the diagram above to work?

I could maybe swap a Deco in for the WiFi router, but since the WiFi router is already there, I figured I'd use it.

Options
2024-07-09 18:31:22
The Deco is in whatever mode it starts in: i believe Router mode. I am fine with having different subnets in the 2 buildings.
Options
2024-07-11 16:19:32

@SwitchesTrouble 

Yes, that topology can work. 

Apart from having two subnets, it would also be a double NAT scenario, which can lead to issues such as problems with port forwarding. Generally, to avoid this, it is recommended that the Deco be set up in Access Point Mode, allowing your main Wi-Fi router to perform all of the network's routing functions. 

Please note that in Access Point Mode, some Deco features may be limited. If you would like to retain the functionality of all Deco Mesh features, you could swap out the main Wi-Fi router for another Deco, as you mentioned. This way, you can also manage the entire network conveniently via the Deco app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 202

Replies: 5

Related Articles