Device Connected to Deco Not Listed in IP Reservation List

2024-08-22 13:47:49
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231229

I have a TP Link HS-100 smart plug connected to my Deco X55.  The plug functions just find both through the Kasa App and the Deco App.  I can see the assigned IP address in the Deco App.  I am trying to assign a reserved IP address to it as I use a piece of software to communicate with it and don't want the IP address to change.  However it is not listed when I go to Advanced -> Address Reservation and then tap the + to add it.  I don't find the MAC Address or the current IP address that it has.  

Options
6 Reply
Re:Device Connected to Deco Not Listed in IP Reservation List
2024-08-22 16:10:29 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@crokett,

First, it may be as simple as the client list not being updated in a timely manner (Something that has a fix on the way for the X55). You should try rebooting your Deco Network to see if the plug will appear. I would highly recommend checking to see if you have a firmware update available for your decos by checking their download pages as recent updates have made improvements to the client list.

The client list also may be more accurate with the main node since that node will handle the connections. For troubleshooting/setup purposes - try moving the plug and setting up the device next to the main node.

I would also highly recommend configuring your IoT network. With Deco, the IoT network will not isolate the network by default, instead requiring you to enable device isolation on a device-by-device basis. The IoT network has seperate encryption settings, along with not utilizing many of the features that can cause device instability such as Beamforming. I would imagine that you would have no problems connecting it to this network, and the fewer features may cause the device to immediately appear.

Lastly, make sure that you check your entire list of connected devices, it will likely have a different device name. I would expect that you should be able to see at least the device's IP.

Options
2024-08-22 18:45:01

@Riley_S I now suspect the problem is related to some of my smart plugs being older HS100 and some are HS103.  None of the HS100s show up in the client list.  All of the HS103s appear to.   My use case is  a couple 3D printers that I control the printer power by turning the smart plug on and off from the printer management software.  One of them is plugged into an HS103, the other is plugged into an HS100.  The HS100 doesn't show up in the client list.  The HS103 does and I've already assigned it a reserved IP address.

Another data point is the HS100 is connected via WiFi directly to the Deco.  I can see it listed in the 'Smart Devices' section of the Deco App as well as another HS100 I use to control a lamp. Neither of those show up in the DHCP client list.

The HS103 is connected to a WiFi access point in Bridge mode, different from the Deco. I do not see it in 'Smart Devices' in the Deco app.   It shows up in the client list.  

As of right now I am considering this an issue with TP-Link and it's own products.  I am going to swap out the older HS100 for an HS103 and see if that resolves it.  

Options
3 weeks ago

Hey @crokett,

My team was able to get back to me and confirm that this is the behavior of devices that are available in the Deco Smart Home section. The devices will not appear in the client list, meaning they cannot be selected to change their setting or create a reservation.

Saying that, the IP Reservations will still work for devices in the Smart Home section. This means that you can configure a custom reservation for the IP and the device's MAC address; you just need to do this manually.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Riley_S   Thank you for looking into this.  What is the reason for this behavior/design? The smart plugs in question show up in the app in the Online Clients section.  So they should be available to assign a static reservation.   This is a poor design decision.  

Options
3 weeks ago

@crokett,

I am not sure to be honest, but we are in discussion with the teams about the feature - or if there can be something done to open these devices up to the normal client list. I often see users needing addresses for setups such as yours, and this adds a few steps that arent really necessary. I will provide an update if I hear from the team about why these devices do not appear in the client list or if a formal feature request should be made.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Riley_S  Ok thank you.  My other option seems to be to connect the smart plug to my other access point - not the Deco.  I think I will do that and see if it shows up in the client list for a reservation.   

Options