HS210 Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 Issue
HS210 Issue
2018-12-16 18:08:24 - last edited 2018-12-16 18:10:46

I have a 3-way circuit with two 3-way switches.

The lighting circuit load consists of 6 LED can lights which I believe amount to around 60 watts total power draw  (if that much).

I replaced one of the 3-ways with a HS-210. The other switch is a mechanical 3-way switch which I did not touch.  The switches work fine if controlled manually except that the power-on indicator in the Kasa (IOS) app never glows if I activate either of the switches manually. However, if I activate the HS210 to turn on the lights via the app the power-on indicator illuminates momentarily then goes out after a second or two. The lights stay on as they should. 

I am able to turn the lights on from Alexa, but am not able to turn off the lights via Alexa. 

This is my second set of HS210 switches. I returned the first set to Amazon as I thought that the HS210's were defective.

I am wondering if perhaps the HS210 required more load than the 6 LED can lights are drawing to work correctly.

Any ideas?

Options
5 Reply
Re:HS210 Issue
2018-12-17 18:48:06

Law,

Hi Law,  I had a similar experiance with my HS210.  I have mine setup to control my outdoor lights.  One switch the mechanical one is downstairs in the garage.  The other switch the HS210 is in my entry way.  I was having a similar issue and the way i resolved it was by placing the mechanical switch in the opposite postion.  From what I was told it seems that is some 3-way enviroments that it may have not been wired in a proper manner, which was my case.  In this regard with the mechanical switch being in a certain postion the circuits may be in a Off status so that the lights never function properly through the app.  Once i switch the switch downstairs to the other postion I haven't had an issue with the HS210 or its functionality. 

Please try that and let me know how it goes

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
Re:Re:HS210 Issue
2018-12-20 02:36:57

Carl,

Thank you for your reply. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that you swapped switches and put the HS210 where the mechanical switch was and put the manual switch where you had originally placed the HS210. Is this correct?

I will try this and see if that resolves the issue. I tried putting more load on the circuit by replacing one of the low voltage LED bulbs with a 100W incadesent bulb but it didn't help. I will try your workaround tomorrow.

Thanks,

Larry

Options
2018-12-26 19:55:42

I was having some strange issues with the app not showing the status of the switch correctly.  They had me delete the app on my phone and then reinstall it.  Once I did this the status shows correctly both in the Kasa app AND in Alexa.  When you install the three way with mechanical switches it is best if you install the HS210 so it is the first switch in the circuit.  What I mean by this is that the power from the circuit breaker hits this switch first.  Best way to figure this out is to turn the power off and disconnect all the wires from both switches (being careful to label them all).  Then stretch the wires out so they are not toughing anything.  Next turn on the power and then with a non-contact voltage tester go to each wire and find the ONE that is hot.  That is the location where you should install the HS210.

Options
2018-12-26 23:21:58 - last edited 2018-12-26 23:31:21

Larry, I think what Carl is actually saying is to toggle the mechanical switch to the "other" position. i.e., if it is up put it down or vice versa. That's my reading of his post.

Options
Re:Re:HS210 Issue
2019-01-22 19:29:28

@Larry 

Yes what @NikD63 said is true.  That is what i meant.  The mechanical switch may be on the "Live" side so it would need to be in the "On" postion always so that the HS210 on the "Load" side always has power to its wifi module so you are able to control it remotely. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1762

Replies: 5

Related Articles