3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-29 08:52:27

Hello@Connu,  thank you for your detailed feedback in regard to the problem with the White Led indicator / dim level LEDs and Double tapping function, our team is currently doing some further investigation on these problems and trying to fix it, we will keep you informed if there are any further updates.

Options
2021-09-29 09:06:02

@Hildebr287 . 

Hi Rich, the manual upgrade requires a Windows computer to update, there isn't a Mac version.  Good news is that firmware 1.0.9 will be launched soon to fix the KS230 shut off issue at higher brightness level, it is suggested to wait for the firmware update on Kasa app within the next few days/ this week. 

Options
2021-09-29 10:29:45

Thanks @Solla-topee 

Yes, I'll wait for the firmware to be pushed to the app.  If you could, please post a notification when that has been done.

Thanks, Rich

Options
2021-09-29 12:38:09 - last edited 2021-09-29 14:51:26

Thanks @Solla-topee.

It's not clear to me what the LED behavior is supposed to be on the remote switch.  Is it supposed to mimic the exact behavior as the main switch?  Is the round nightlight supposed to turn on and off like the main switch to indicate the status of the lights?  It's always on, very bright, and very annoying right now.  Are there LED indicator dots at the very top to indicate the brightness level?  None ever light up if there are.  Please let us know so we all fully understand the intended functionality.  Thanks again! 

1. The round nightlight is always on regardless of whether the lights are on or off. (remote switch only)

2. The round nightlight is much brighter than all my other kasa switches (I have dozens) and single-pole dimmers. (remote switch only)

3. The round nightlight ignores the on/off toggle setting in the kasa app.  (remote switch only)

4. The dim level LEDs at the very top don't work at all. (remote switch only)

5. The dim level LEDs don't all light up to the left like all the other kasa switches with the v1.09 update installed. (both switches)

6. Long Pressing including custom settings works but Double Tapping doesn't work and behaves like a single tap to turn the lights on or off. (remote switch only)

Options
2021-09-29 16:53:27

Hi Everyone,

Great feedback, and glad to hear that this beta firmware has worked for most of you.  For those of you that haven't keep us in the loop and tag on of of the admins for direct assistnace.  @Connu  and @Hildebr287 I will let @Solla-topee  continue to assist you, that way we are not butting heads or causing confusion. 

Options
2021-09-29 17:47:19

Thanks @Carl,

Just to clarify again, I had a dead remote switch that cause my initial issues.  The new second kit worked with the v1.09 update.  However, there are still a number of obvious bugs that I suspect everyone is still getting.  I'd like to hear back from the others as to whether the bugs I listed are reproducible on their switches.  I would also like to confirm what the expected LED functionality on the remote switch is supposed to be and whether it's supposed to have all the same indicator LEDs as the main switch.  Can you let us know?

I also wanted to make one note which I think is important.  I have a house full of "dead-end" 3-way switches.  Our house is only 8 years old, but I think they are no longer to code since they do not provide a neutral wire in the dead-end box.  This caused me some confusion since the load and line wires are all in the main electrical box. There isn't a neutral wire or load wires in the remote box. Dead-end 3-way circuits really should be noted in your user guide or added as an insert.  Lutron had the same lack of documentation on them and said their switches couldn't be used in this type of a circuit. They were wrong and have since updated their docs. They can support this circuit and yours can too, but it requires that the load lead wire from the remote switch be connected to the extra wire (white) BACK to the main switch.  The wire should then be connected to the load wire in the main box that actually runs to the lights.

Options
2021-09-29 23:40:01

@Connu 

In my excitement at the funtioning lights, I didn't notice the same LED notification light issues that Connu mentioned. So mine behave exactly as theirs did with the LED always on with firmware 1.0.9 whether the switch was on or not.

When testing with 1.0.8 firmware the LEDs behaved as expected with the nightlight on the remote only turning on when the light is off, and and turning off when the lights were on, whether the light change was initiated on the either switch or remote app. I too noticed the notice light is about twice as bright as a 3way HS210 right next to it. And @Connu, there are no dim level LEDs on the remote switch, so that is expected. It's just the circle LED. And in 1.0.8 the main switch did show dim value by lighting up all lights up to the level from the left and then turned off after a few seconds. 1.0.9 the circle LEDs on both switches are always on and a single current dim level LED is always on the main switch.

That being said, these are definitely usable like this, so while it's not perfect, they are definitely functional until a more complete fix is available.

Options
2021-09-30 00:14:03 - last edited 2021-09-30 00:17:13

Thanks @BaumSquad.

I didn't realize that the remote didn't have the top LEDs and assumed they did since I've asked a couple of times about them and neither @Carl nor @solla-topee said otherwise.  That's why I keep asking them what the expected functionality of the remote is.  It's no big deal.  My Lutron remotes don't have them either.

I really don't like the super bright round LED in a bank of three others that are much dimmer, but that's my OCD!

I do want the double-click feature fixed though.  I'm used to the Lutron functionality that goes full bright on a double-click and back to the preset dimmer setting on a long press.  The fact that I can customize the kasa switches like this is what ultimately sold me on switching to kasa before doing my entire house with Lutron switches.

But agreed, at least they're usable, if far from perfect.  You also proved to me that my dead-end 3-way circuit installation isn't the culprit.  These kasa switches have less than a 1-star rating on Amazon and it won't get much better if they ship with all these bugs.  At least I've been able to pick up some good deals by buying returned kits form Amazon's returns warehouse.   

Options
2021-09-30 00:43:57

@Connu are the LEDs on the switches bright as hell out of the box or as of the upgrade? I hate the current ones brightness... them being even brighter is gonna suck. I dont know why TP link would not choose to match the current ones.

Options
2021-09-30 02:30:58

@Astone595 ,

I recall that it was super bright on the original v1.05 and v1.08.  I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was always way too bright like the most recent v1.09.  That's why I tried to toggle the light always off on the kasa app, but that's broken too and needs to be fixed.

Options
Related Articles