Extending the WiFi antenna on HS200?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-19 13:59:02

I have an HS200 switch, which is in a metal work gang box and has a metal face place.  Not ideal to have so much metal, especially the faceplate, but needed for the location on a work bench in my garage.  I get random signal strength issues with the switch, where it'll drop off the network and then come back on the network. I'm pretty sure the metal box and cover are messing with the HS200's WiFi reception.  Is there a way to extend the WiFi antenna for the HS200?  I noticed the HS200 has a small piece of flat metal that comes out of its housing near the bottom mounting screw hole.  Is this the antenna for the HS200?  If so, I'm thinking I could I solder or attach a small piece of copper wire to that piece of metal and run that outside the metal enclosure to get the HS200 better WiFi reception.  If that's not the antenna, where is it and can I get to it?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending the WiFi antenna on HS200?
2020-01-20 19:49:29

@C-Hans 

A range extender such as the RE200 or RE300 would likely be your best bet.  It connects to the main router then you place it in a area with a strong signal between the workbench and the router you should have a stronger single to the workbench HS200.  I would not recommend sodering anything to the switch as that will void the warranty. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 647

Replies: 1

Related Articles