HS220 Dimmer stopped working with canless recessed light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-07 16:32:19 - last edited 2020-08-07 16:44:29
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.11

I installed one of the HS220 dimmer switches with my new canless recessed lights and it worked great for several months.

A few days ago I noticed the lights flicker and then shortly after they shut off completely. The smart switch showed it was turned on in the app and physically looking at the device. I shut off the switch and the after waiting a little while I turned the switch back on and it worked fine for a few minutes and turned off again.

Here are the lights I am using.

6 Inch Recessed Lighting 3000K Warm White Light Slim Led Downlight Dimmable with Junction Box 12.5W 850lm IC Rated Bbounder Ultra-Thin Canless Recessed Lights ETL and Energy Star Certified 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NP7SCZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_L1xlFb3WP8XM2

I am wondering if the HS220 switch is not compatable with the lights I have?

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS220 Dimmer stopped working with canless recessed light
2020-08-07 21:27:04

@brycel 

It's possible there are few types of LED our products do not work with or rather properly with.  Can you find out from that manufacture what type of LED the bulds are?  Also have you checked the wiring? is everything properly secured?  Are you using the grounding wire?

For the type of dimming bulbs there are:  Incandescent/Halogen, Magnetic Low-voltage (MLV), Electronic Low-voltage (ELV), Neon/Cold Cathode (Magnetic Ballast), Fluorescent (Electronic Fluorescent Dimming Ballast), and LED  Our HS220 works with  to Incandescent/Halogen (forward phase control), based on TRIAC and LED

Options
2020-08-07 21:38:40

@Carl thanks for the reply.

I double checked the wiring. Everything looks correct to me and I am using the ground wire.

I have been looking at the spec sheet for the lights and all I have been able to find is that they are LED lights. I have not found anything more specific. I will try and contact the manufacturer to get more details.

Thanks for letting me know what types of lights are supported by the HS220.

Options
2020-10-04 06:17:55

@brycel for anyone else having a similar issue, I think I solved my problem.

I had double checked my wiring at the switch and everything was good. I then checked the wiring at the lights and I found that the first light in the chain had a very loose connection. When I pulled it out one of the wires came loose from the connector. After lengthening the wire a little and reconnecting everything the lights have been working. Hopefully that was it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1506

Replies: 3