Archer VR900 "Error code: 1 / Internal error."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 18:20:35
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 1.5 v004c.0 Build 170119 Rel.66992n

Hi there,

I have an Archer VR900 (V1, white EU model). I purchased it from Amazon in Jan 2016.

It was working perfectly for years, however I’ve recently moved house and I left it in a box for a couple of months before getting it out the other day to set it up in place of the router provided by EE. It was functioning with no issues for about 2 days, but suddenly today my connection stopped working. My laptop was connected to wi-fi but no web pages were loading. I hard wired my laptop to the router and can open the UI, but I was met with the following pop-up warning:

“Error code: 1
Internal error.”

I did a quick Google search and found a related post on this forum which advised to carry out a hard reset, and if that does not work then to upgrade the firmware. A hard reset did not work, the pop-up warning still appears and I have tried using the reset button on the router as well as factory reset from the UI.
Every time I try to upgrade the firmware it fails between 3-5% as the warning box pops up with the error code and stops the upgrade. However, the current firmware version following a hard reset is identical to the .bin file I am trying to upgrade with, so I am not sure if this would even help?

On the off-chance it's an issue with the wireless I have tried disabling the wireless radio for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but it has no effect and the error code still persists.

I have noticed that navigating the UI since this error has appeared is clunky and slow, with pages/tabs loading much slower than usual. The pop-up warning also appears regularly.

Is there anything else I can do? sad

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 "Error code: 1 / Internal error."
2020-11-26 20:35:23

Update:

I contacted chat support to see if they could assist in any way. I had powered down the router after having no luck earlier, and when I powered it back up to take a screenshot of the error message it did not appear and the router is seemingly functioning as it should again. surprise

Does anyone have any ideas on why powering the device down seems to have done the trick?

I agreed with the support agent that moving forward I will re-connect the router to the DSL line and monitor it for any further issues and to see if the same error occurs again. If it does happen again I will know it is an ongoing problem with the router, and then I will get back in touch with support. The agent also confirmed that in the UK the device comes with a 3 year warranty which has now ended, so if the hardware is deemed faulty then a replacement would have to be bought at my own expense - which I guess is fair enough.

Opinions and thoughts regarding this issue would still be welcomed smiley

Options
2020-11-28 13:13:02
When changing connection on modems, routers, and PCs, sometimes it requires you to power cycle them to get things working correctly. So when you encounter an issue, power cycle everything sometimes helps. I power all three down, the power up the modem, wait for it to stabilize, the power up the router, wait for it to stabilize, then my PC. The way it worked for a bit then quit is strange. Maybe some kind of power hit.
Options
2020-11-30 05:18:37
Thanks for the info/advice! All good to know 🙂
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1587

Replies: 3