Red Light on ALL Switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-01 04:12:59

I currently have 7 smart switches (HS200) installed. It was noticed that as of this morning every single light switch had the red light on. 

Attempts to reconnect to the WiFi network have failed. The Kasa app detects the device, however it doesn't connect to the WiFi router. The wireless router is not automatically detected by the app, however it still fails to connect after the network is added manually. Other household devices are functioning as normal, so there is no concern of downed internet. Lastly, there are no notices of updates.

What can I do? I find it odd that all 7 disconnected at the same time, and neither can connect. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Red Light on ALL Switches
2021-04-01 06:55:30

@LRV2021 A couple of questions:

How strong is your Wifi signal specifically at each of the switch install locations? You can get some idea by using your phone as close to the switch as possible and checking the signal strength - of course it will have to be your 2.4G network? 

Is your Wifi Network congested? Do you live in Urban area where you can 'see' a lot of your neighbours wifi networks? If so, you might try using a different channel for your own 2.4G Network to gain more band separation. (you would change the channel in your router setup)

Do you use the same SSID/PW for both 2.4G and 5G? If your router has the capability, separate them with different ID's & obviously connect your devices to your 2.4. 

One other good practice for you Smart Devices is to 'reserve' the IP's for each device so that your DHCP server always assigns the same local IP matched to the Device's MAC address. I actually use a specific SSID and P/W just for my Smart Devices and another for my other general WifI (like phones etc) By dedicating an SSID to one group of devices, you can set different channels for each, which will further help with separation. 

Your best foot forward is to delete all the devices and rediscover them, checking the tips listed above as you go. 

Good Luck! 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
Re:Red Light on ALL Switches
2021-04-04 21:49:36

@Bethel.8009 My router location hadn't changed but I hadn't checked to see if signal strength was interrupted. It wasn't all seemed normal. 

I was able to reconnect them though. What worked was your last advice. Once I deleted all devices from the app, I reset/restarted them and began the connection process all over and voila! All are once again connected to the same network. 

Thank you.

Options