Smart Switches Reset/Flashing Orange/Green

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-28 00:52:13 - last edited 2022-01-29 08:37:49

I was adding a new smart plug and had just finished pairing it to the Kasa app when my 20+ switches throughout my house reset all at once. Every switch that was on turned off and every switch that was off turned on. All switches are now blinking orange and green. The app is telling me each switch must be set up again which is going to be a nightmare. There was no loss of internet connection and wifi is still working perfectly for every other device in my house. Oddly, the smart plugs were not affected. I have tried doing a soft reset of the switches without success. I have tried resetting my wifi without success. Heck, I even tried resetting the breakers in my house without success. How do I fix this issue without having to remove all of my switch covers to find the device ID and manually re-pair each switch?!?!?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart Switches Reset/Flashing Orange/Green-Solution
2022-01-29 01:08:34 - last edited 2022-01-29 08:37:49

@FredJones 

Hello everyone

Thank you for your feedback. 

If you met similar concern that all kasa device flashes amber and green , can you help confirm some information here for us to look into further: 

• May I know how about the Led status on your smart devices at that moment, how many devices were affected?
  • Do you use any Google device or link /unlink Google device at that time? What is the model of it? 
  • (if so , please unlink Google device from kasa or connect google speaker to a guest WiFi network temporarily )
  • Can I have the Mac address of new added kasa device by private message? 
  • Model of Wi-Fi router 

Thank you. 

Please check the Wi-Fi Led on smart devices: 

If the Led is amber and green, that is in set up mode and requires adding the device back into kasa app one by one. 

Here are some guides that may help reset and set up kasa devices: 

This post will be marked as recommended solution for forum users to get the information in full easier and provide further feedback,  thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Smart Switches Reset/Flashing Orange/Green
2022-01-28 00:59:58 - last edited 2022-01-28 01:00:19

Correction: some smart plugs were affected and some were not. Smart strips were not affected. 

Options
2022-01-28 02:15:55 - last edited 2022-01-28 02:43:21

Hello @azrael13 

Thank you for your valuable feedback. 

1.Can you share the Mac address of the new added smart plug to us via private message

Can you provide the time when that happens, e,g around 9PM UTC+EST Jan 27, thank you

2. May I know do you use any Google device &the model of Google device, did you use unlink or link Google at that time? 

If so, you could unlink Google device from kasa first. 

Options
2022-01-28 02:47:07 - last edited 2022-01-28 02:48:23

@Solla-topee 

I sent you a private message with the MAC address and the time of the incident. The plug had been used before without any problems, I was setting it up as a new plug for a new lamp. We have a Google smart home ecosystem with multiple Google devices. Wifi is a Google mesh network. The wifi was working correctly leading up to the incident, during the incident, and following the incident. I was not linking the plug to the Google system at the time of the incident: I was solely within the Kasa app. 

Options
2022-01-28 03:43:55

Hello @azrael13 

Appreciate for more case details!

If the Kasa Wi-Fi LED flashes orange and green, the smart device is in set up mode ,I'm afraid we will need to add them back in the Kasa app one by one.  

As this sounds quite unusual, I would like to escalate your case through support email to investigate further,  please check your inbox later. Thank you. 

Options
2022-01-28 19:58:48

I'd like to add that the same thing happened to me about an hour ago.  I was setting up two new smart dimmers and everything in my house that's TP-Link (except for the two switches I had just added) reset at the exact same time.  Smart plugs were affected in my case.  All my devices in the app are grayed out and say "Device Unreachable".

Do I have to remove each switch from the app before setting everything up again?

I'd also rather not have to do this multiple times.  It seems as though there's a wider issue here.  Is there any way for me to track the progress of a fix?

Thank you!

Options
Re:Smart Switches Reset/Flashing Orange/Green-Solution
2022-01-29 01:08:34 - last edited 2022-01-29 08:37:49

@FredJones 

Hello everyone

Thank you for your feedback. 

If you met similar concern that all kasa device flashes amber and green , can you help confirm some information here for us to look into further: 

• May I know how about the Led status on your smart devices at that moment, how many devices were affected?
  • Do you use any Google device or link /unlink Google device at that time? What is the model of it? 
  • (if so , please unlink Google device from kasa or connect google speaker to a guest WiFi network temporarily )
  • Can I have the Mac address of new added kasa device by private message? 
  • Model of Wi-Fi router 

Thank you. 

Please check the Wi-Fi Led on smart devices: 

If the Led is amber and green, that is in set up mode and requires adding the device back into kasa app one by one. 

Here are some guides that may help reset and set up kasa devices: 

This post will be marked as recommended solution for forum users to get the information in full easier and provide further feedback,  thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-29 03:03:33

@azrael13 This exact same thing happened to me. I had about 18 switches set up. Installed a new one, and as soon as I activated it, every switch in the house disconnected, turned on, and started flashing amber and green.

Options
2022-01-29 04:03:33

It seems I now need to manually set up all of my devices again which is a huge pain. Any advice on how to tell which WiFi SSID is tied to which switch? They are nearly all 3-ways. Was a huge fan of these until this happened. Seems like a ridiculous bug.

Options
2022-01-29 16:39:46

@Solla-topee 

I'm not sure how this is a solution?  Has your development team implemented a fix yet?  I'm reluctant to re-setup all of my devices only to have everything reset again on the last switch.

Answers to your questions:

• LED status on all switches is now solid red but was originally flashing orange/green (I'm aware of how to restart the switches when I'm ready to set them up).  All smart plugs are still flashing orange/green.  20 devices total were reset.
  • I did not use or link/unlink any Google devices at the time everything reset.
  • I'll send you the MAC address by private message.
  • I have a Google Wifi Mesh network in my home.  One newer model Nest Wifi as the base station.  Three older Google Wifi access points.  All have been working optimally for roughly two years, with up-to-date firmware, and I have no issues with connection on any devices before, during or after my Kasa devices reset.

Please let me know how I can track the progress of your development team to ensure everything is fixed before I spend the large amount of time it will take to re-setup up my entire system.

Thank you!

Options
2022-02-03 00:19:54

@skornstein 

You should be able to see the MAC printed on the switch if you remove the faceplate. Other option would be to wait until all the devices switch to the steady red LED and then reset them one by one. Personally, I'm not going to do this until the bug is resolved because I don't want to have to do it more than once. 

Anyone heard anything about when the bug is expected to be resolved? I haven't seen a Kasa app update. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4103

Replies: 10

Related Articles