Is there a Kasa/TPLink cloud problem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-08 16:16:12

Suddenly yesterday evening I had multiple devices become 'unresponsive' in Alexa 

5 devices (out of 29 Kasa devices in my network) all at the same time suddenly have this issue. 
The devices vary - some bulbs, some HS200, some HS220 

I can delete all 5 devices from Alexa, and then they are rediscovered automatically having Alexa search for new devices 

The devices all control properly from the Kasa app, (i.e. turn on/off/dim as appropriate), just not from Alexa

Since they work with local control from app, the devices are clearly connected to my wifi and functioning - so I would think it might possibly be a Kasa/TPLink Cloud issue? (although it's odd that they are stil discovered in Alexa, just not controllable) 

Anyone else have similar issues? 

Comments from Kasa/TPLink support staff? 
3a1a606652c14f0cb7665e36f9f1967a 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is there a Kasa/TPLink cloud problem?
2022-03-08 20:13:21

I turned off my router (TPLInk) and re-started - no difference. 

I deleted the 'Table Lamp 1' device (bulb) from the Kasa App and rediscovered - it came back on line, Alexa discovered it automatically and it was operable.

I waited a while longer just to see if the other came back on-line, they did not

So I proceeded to delete and re-add the other problematic ones.

I did the Kitchen Deck Lights device - HS220 dimmer; it too came back on-line and was discovered - and active - in Alexa 

Here's the next weird part - I went to repeat that delete/re-add the process on the remaining three devices and suddenly they were back active again without any action on those. 

So I'm thinking there HAS to have been a Cloud issue ..... 

Options
Re:Is there a Kasa/TPLink cloud problem?
2022-03-21 01:33:50

@DEcosse 

As far as I could tell, there isn't  known cloud issue recently, can you help provide some case details here to help us locate the issue:  

•  the model of Wi-Fi router and network topology, like ISP XX _- router archer C7 <wireless>HS200
  • How long the kasa switches has been working with the same router. Did you recently update router firmware or change router settings before the issue started? 
  • Does kasa connect to the router directly or through an extender or mesh system? 
  • Can you share the Mac address of smart device which has the problem to us via private message?

For ' local only' error, you could try some suggestions here 

• Reboot kasa device when device becomes local only
  • Change router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4
  • Check router firewall log/ settings, and see if any tplink domain or related request has been blocked by router. 
  • Make sure device is connected to router directly, not through other AP or Range extenders
  • Make sure kasa firmware  Kasa APP version are both up to date 
  • Check if there is any Advanced settings on router like access control/ parental control/ Mac Filtering /Band steering/ IP optimization settings may affect the smart device

Thank you 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 444

Replies: 2