Smart switches and smart plugs disconnect from wifi each day after Netgear router firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart switches and smart plugs disconnect from wifi each day after Netgear router firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-26 13:26:35
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

This problem described in this post might be with the Netgear router and I have posted this same message at community.netgear.com forums however I wanted to see if other Kasa users were also experiencing it.

After I installed the latest firmware, V1.0.2.90, to our Netgear R7800 router (AC2600) my five Kasa IOT smart light switches and smart plugs will only stay connected to wifi for at most 24 hours.  This applies to both the wall mounted switches (models HS200 and HS210) and the smart plugs (model HS100).  When I reboot the router they reconnect and again stay connected for about a day.  I installed the switches and plugs in March 2018 and this is the first time I've had any trouble with them.

The switches/plugs indicate they are disconnected from wifi with a red/amber indicator light which turns green when connected.  However when the indicator lights are all red the RS7800 router shows that they are still attached devices.  The Kasa app shows that the latest firmware is installed on all the smart switches and smart plugs (see complete list below). None of our other 20 or so wifi connected devices appears to be negatively affected by the firmware update.

HS210 - hardware 1.0, firmware 1.5.8

HS200 - hardware 1.0, firmware 1.2.6

HS100 - hardware 2.0, firmware 1.5.6

HS100 - hardware 1.0, firmware 1.2.6

Any troubleshooting suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Smart switches and smart plugs disconnect from wifi each day after Netgear router firmware upgrade
2022-04-27 08:03:54

Hello  @beernutzbob 

Thank you for the feedback!

Considering this issue occurs since router firmware update, it is recommended to reach router support and see if they could downgrade the firmware version or if they have any beta firmware for the router. 

To better assist with your case, we created a support email to look into that further, please check your email inbox for TKID220425865, thank you. 

Options
Re:Smart switches and smart plugs disconnect from wifi each day after Netgear router firmware upgrade
2022-04-28 03:28:01

@beernutzbob I have a similar problem since the upgrade...but it is with my Kasa cameras. I am getting ready to switch out this Nighthawk router because I am beyond frustrated.  I just happened upon your post while getting ready to write down all my settings and toss this old Nighthawk away.  Please let me know if you get anywhere with Netgear.  - Peggy

Options
2022-04-28 10:34:20 - last edited 2022-04-28 10:52:46

@RaggedyMom I downgraded the R7800 router firmware to the previous version 1.0.2.86 and the disconnect problem I was having stopped. I also set the router to not automatically upgrade the firmware. 

Reply to this post if you would like more information on how I did this. 

Netgear has not responded to my post on their forum though another user did try to help troubleshoot the problem. While my router has worked well for many years this may be my last one from Netgear.

An alternative to downgrading the firmware, frankly probably a better but trickier to do one, is to install dd-wrt firmware on the router instead of using Netgear's proprietary software.  I've done this on another Netgear router and it's been done by others on the R7800 model. 

Options
2022-04-28 10:59:46 - last edited 2022-04-28 11:01:41

@Solla-topee Thanks. As I noted in my reply to Peggy above, the problem I was having was apparently due to the new Netgear router firmware that I installed. When I downgraded the firmware to the previous version the disconnections stopped.

I do appreciate you reaching out and starting a support ticket, especially since the problem wasn't caused by my Kasa products. I have heard nothing from Netgear support on their forum. 

Options
2022-04-29 20:09:58

beernutzbob wrote

Netgear has not responded to my post on their forum though another user did try to help troubleshoot the problem. While my router has worked well for many years this may be my last one from Netgear.

@beernutzbob off primary topic, but I ditched Netgear when I moved to my new house, leaving the old equipment as an integral part of the Smart Home setup. I had a Cable Modem and Netgear Mesh Router - both 'top of the line' First off, their warranty is absolutely horrible (effectively 90 days after which you have to pay for premium support to validate the issue is the device at fault) and second, try getting a real person through their support system (without paying for that premium service). That alone was enough to say 'no more'. 

Rant over cheeky

Options
2022-04-29 20:54:36

@DEcosse I appreciate your input and believe me I felt the same way.  However after the downgraded Netgear firmware I installed also began to have a disconnection problem I decided to install the latest dd-wrt firmware for my R7800 router this morning.  It has only been about 7 hours but I haven't had a single problem with the new firmware so far and all of my devices reconnected automatically when I used the same SSIDs, passcodes, and security settings.  So I am at least hanging on to my Netgear hardware but their software is ancient history to me now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 631

Replies: 6

Related Articles