Smart Switch not connecting with combo modem/router - not sure why

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-13 20:21:05
Tags: #modem
Model: KP400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.37.2

This is a strange situation for sure. I have recently received a new modem from my cable company. They have their own password on it to use instead of a router - my guess it is a combo modem/router machine.  Before this, I have been using an old router connected to the modem for my Smart plugs, cameras etc with no issues at all. I decided remove the router because the cable company told me that their Modem/router combo give me faster speeds. So I did.

I had to reinstall the smart plug with the modem password using my app.  The app said it was connected on my smart phone, but the light on the smart plug was always flashing RED.  On my smart phone it said "connected" but when finallizing the installation, the connection failed.  I tried this three times with the same result.. After running out of ideas, I went back and re-connected my old router. It worked right away.

So what does anyone think the issue might be?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart Switch not connecting with combo modem/router - not sure why
2022-06-13 23:31:58

@netrate,

When you switched networks, did you use the same SSID that was used on the old network? If so you may have needed to perform either a soft reset(wifi settings) or a hard reset(factory settings). This would remove any old network information that may have been stored on the plug.

Here is a Knowledge Base Article for the Different Types of Plug Resets: Resetting a Plug - Soft and Factory Resets

The combo device that you got is often referred to as a 'gateway' and can be used as a combination, or as only a modem unit. While this device may have provided increased speeds, many gateways do not provide the same coverage as designated routers. For this reason, many power users will exchange for a modem or place their gateway into modem-only mode and then attach a separate router. However, these Gateways are often enough for standard home users.

The most important thing to consider after getting the upgrade is how the speed and stability compared to before. If you are getting better speeds with the gateway, I would recommend disconnecting or upgrading your router. 

Options
Re:Smart Switch not connecting with combo modem/router - not sure why
2022-06-14 00:03:50

@netrate,

Here is a thread that another user just posted that will be extremely helpful to you: Kasa Smart Switches: How to set up WiFi networks after changing the name or password...this is how.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 2

Tags

modem
Related Articles