Smart Plug EP25 Error while setting up - Unable to Add Accessory an unknown error occurred

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart Plug EP25 Error while setting up - Unable to Add Accessory an unknown error occurred

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-13 00:09:39
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Ver 1.8

I have 4 - EP25 that will not setup properly - they get an IP but cannot add to Kasa app or apple home app.

I get an warning with an exclamation point - Unable to Add Accessory - An unknown error occurred

does anyone know what this means and is there a work around?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Smart Plug EP25 Error while setting up - Unable to Add Accessory an unknown error occurred
2022-07-13 00:41:24

Hello  @jiml1969 

Please ensure your mobile device is connected to home Wi-Fi network before setup and has stable Internet connection.

Here is a troubleshooting guide that may help with your case. 

Troubleshoot Homekit-Supported Kasa Devices Setup Failure (KP125 'Unable to Add Accessory' Error)

Options
Re:Smart Plug EP25 Error while setting up - Unable to Add Accessory an unknown error occurred
2022-07-13 02:14:03
My phone, iPad’s I tried were all on the proper network. I can see my phone are on the same network because of my routers dashboard. It lists the ip’s and Mac addresses of all devices connected.
Options
2022-07-13 03:44:21

Hello  @jiml1969 

Thank you for proving more case details! Please also try other suggestions listed in the above troubleshooting guide factory reset EP25;turn off VPN or security app like Lookout, Adguard apps; put smart device and phone closer to router. 
If you have any Android mobile device also give that a try.  

If still the same can you share a photo of error, the model and OS of your phone, Kasa APP version, thank you. 

If you need any urgent assist, feel free to reach our live chat or hotline support so they could help with the device installation in a more timely manner. 

Options
2022-07-13 14:16:22 - last edited 2022-07-13 14:31:47

@Solla-topee 

I tried all of the methods that were listed that I found. I disabled the VPN's when doing the installation.

I do have a guest network where all of my IOT's are including 4 Kasa HS103, doorbell, cameras, thermostats. The network is the 10 dot range, the network is configured in such a way that the DHCP addresses provided prevent the individual devices from "talking" to each other and can only "talk" to the internet.

I added the screenshot from my phone with the warning sign.

I bought these plugs for the random turning off while away which the HS103 could not do.

I do not use any android devices now, so I cannot test that.

Details on the EP25

HW v 1.0

Firmware v.0.6

iPhone 13 pro max 15.5

Kasa app v2.38.0 build 1029

File:
Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 6.16.52 PM.pngDownload
Options
2022-07-14 12:52:24

@jiml1969 

The issue is solved - because the installation process for the EP25 forces you to Apple's Homekit Home app it thinks you have their hub setup. This requires the devices to communicate to the hub via the network. Since I have a guest network for my IoT which prevents devices from interacting "talking" with the rest of my network the installation process fails. Not sure why tp-link can't have the set up process to be the same as the HS103's, which installs on my IoT network without issues BTW.

In order to use the functionality I wanted with the EP25, I created a new vlan just for the EP25's that I could secure via vlan tagging securing the network to create firewall rule to block all traffic to and from the local LAN. This rule does not prevent access to the internet but prevents access to other networks we have my sensitive devices. This is done just incase any of the IoT devices get hacked. Which there have been documented cases - even with the tp-link devices.

Options
2022-07-15 09:23:47 - last edited 2022-07-15 09:24:59

Hello @jiml1969 

Glad to know you have solved the problem and thanks for sharing solution and finding here. 

As far as I know the setup should be always in Kasa APP when user selects  the HomeKit Kasa Plug model  in the setup process, and should not send request to a hub. 

If you found any information about kasa app or device try 'communicate to the hub via the network', this sounds like new finding.

As I learned about for home kit mode, the process of scan QR code and setting up as a Homekit device is a step required by Apple and can not be bypassed.

8689a9e1aa8142b295b517bc3dd2450a

Options
2022-07-15 14:27:01 - last edited 2022-07-15 14:27:55

@jiml1969 

Answer to your question - If you found any information about kasa app or device try 'communicate to the hub via the network', this sounds like new finding.

I did not find any documentation.  However, when I had that thought that since the set up forced me to use the Apple setup process and I received the errors unable to add accessory I decided to see how much traffic the EP25 was generating. I did see each attempt to install the EP25 the more LAN usage and the spikes correlated to the times I tried to install. This was not scientific by any means, but when I created the new vlan and when I went through the set-up process again it worked. Looking at the traffic pattern for the EP25 on the new vlan, there was an initial spike of ~14Kb/s then continuous traffic of sub 1Kb/s - I have included screen shots of the data.

Long story short when I reviewed the results my personal conclusion is the EP25 was looking for a response of some short and that is why it would not install on my guest network.

My response to - As I learned about for home kit mode, the process of scan QR code and setting up as a Homekit device is a step required by Apple and can not be bypassed. If that is the case perhaps an other product with the same feature could be developed for the non Homekit users. Not every one has the ability to create a network such as mine - my network is a Cisco Meraki environment.

File:
ep25 data part 1.pngDownload
Options
2022-07-15 14:31:51

@jiml1969 

For some reason I had an issue uploading the two png's - part one was on the previous update and part 2 is on this one.

File:
ep25 data part 2.pngDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1554

Replies: 8

Related Articles