Is TP-Link Phasing out it's Kasa brand product line?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-01 15:36:13 - last edited 2022-12-01 15:40:39
Model: KC310S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

So I'm in the market to replace/upgrade my current Kasa smart cameras. I was hoping that Kasa would be offering an updated outdoor wireless camera since the current model offered is now at its "end of life" status. Unfortunately, Kasa does not have a replacement option for the KC310S2, but Tapo does. The problem here is that Kasa and Tapo don't play well together and are not on speaking terms. So while I could upgrade my cameras, the Tapo products would not be able to communicate with my other Kasa smart switches that I have installed. I would have to use two separate apps to control my cameras and smart switches which is not very convenient or user friendly. I have seen that a third- party programmer has made an app available to control both the Tapo and Kasa products, but is does not address some of the other features like "smart actions". It's better than nothing I suppose, which is more that I've seen from TP-Link on this issue. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is TP-Link Phasing out it's Kasa brand product line?
2022-12-01 18:50:31

@Big-Ace,

Right now, Tapo is just being introduced into the US, as such they are just starting to fill the product line, however there may be a few features that you would miss when transitioning, such as the AI options that are included for more cameras in the Kasa ecosystem.

With the official announcement that TP-Link has been approved to produce matter products, and to the fact that CES is right around the corner; I would not be surprised if a flagship camera from Kasa will launch soon. From what I have seen, TP-Link has been placing a renewed focus on outdoor products across all brands, such as releasing the Deco Outdoor, the new Tapo Outdoor Cameras, and the Upcoming Outdoor Smart Plug Releases from Kasa

There are absolutely no plans to end the Kasa or Tapo line of products, so as it stands, it is recommended to stay within one ecosystem so that you can use all your devices in your home automation. The feedback to provide cross-platform compatibility has already been passed along to our R&D team, however, there are a lot of logistics that must be figured out before the backend systems for two separately developed brands could potentially work across apps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 396

Replies: 1

Related Articles