How to temporarily disable motion sensor?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-08 03:34:08 - last edited 2022-12-08 03:51:47
Model: ES20M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I've installed about 40 Kasa smart switches throughout my house as part of a full renovation project.  Almost all are model ES20M--motion sensor w/ dimmer.  I also have some KS200M, motion-activated WITHOUT dimmer for use w/ ceiling fans.  And a few simple dimmers and 3-way dimmers.

I've spent time in the app to configure them to explore the functionality.  I still have a MASSIVE problem that makes them almost not functional at all.  

There are times when I want lights to remain off and NOT turn on automatically with the motion sensor. 

Examples:

-- I'm watching TV and want lights to remain off even if I get up for any reason.  The app includes a 'movie night' scene, but it just turns lights off (or on).  I have to re-push 'move night' to turn the lights off again.

--  I'm eating and want lights over the dining table to be on and other lights to remain off.  If I get up from the table, the sensor for other lights turns on automatically.  I have to turn them off again manually

I know I can set a schedule for each sensor so that it can only be turned on or off manually for a certain time period.  BUT that only applies during this time period.  The time of day when I want to temporarily disable the motion sensors are not predictable enough for me to include this in a smart setting.  For example, if I'm not watching a movie, I want the relevant lights to turn on automatically w/ motion.  

The 'manual off' buffer tries to address this issues but is designed for a different purpose.  It can only be set for a very short period:  up to a minute.  And it's a device setting that would be active all the time, vs. something that can be turned on for a certain time period when desired.  

I've had to set many sensors to 'manual only' as a result of this bug.  I prefer to keep them motion-activated for the other benefits, but this issue is just too annoying. 

I have a house full of these switches -- please help!

Is there a fix?  Any way to create a smart scene that can group sensors together and disable the motion sensor?  Or other workaround?  

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to temporarily disable motion sensor?
2022-12-10 16:28:47

@Michael_W_M 

Hello?  Any help from customer service / tech support for this one?  

My wife says the 'constant light show' is driving her crazy and I'm losing spousal support for the new smart home I was so excited about :(.

Options
2022-12-15 00:59:15

@Michael_W_M 

You might vote / weigh in on the feature request I submitted, that seems related to what you want.

https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/592094

Options
2023-01-03 20:28:06
So forgive my question, but what did you expect when you bought a motion detection switch? If it sees motion it activates power to that device. In your example of movie night, how would you want the "stay off" feature to work? Would you go into the app and click "stay off" on that switch? You can go into the device settings and disable motion on the switch just the same. Have you tried changing the sensitivity setting to close range? Does that help any? I think the switch is working as it was designed. Maybe you need to install the HS200 in those rooms where you do not want to detect motion. Ryan
Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 2037

Replies: 3