TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug

2023-01-30 18:59:09 - last edited 2024-03-27 23:02:42

TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug

Official TP-Link Product Page

15dd702df5134823a159ed29fbf1da83

TP-Link has been committed to promoting the implementation of the Matter protocol. It is one of the first companies to obtain the Matter 1.0 certification and one of the few to receive the root certificate issued by the Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA). The unveiling of Tapo P125M signifies TP-Link is making the long-anticipated vision of a seamless smart home a reality, lifting the curtain of the Matter era. 

The ultimate benefit of the Matter protocol lies in its seamless interoperability. The Tapo P125M, similar to other Tapo smart plugs, supports control via the Tapo app and voice assistants. However, users are no longer limited to specific smart home platforms. The Matter-compatible P125M works with nearly all certified smart home platforms, such as Apple Home, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Samsung SmartThings.

Apart from that, the smart plug can interact with numerous certified smart devices from other manufacturers, meeting users' needs for more personalized and unified smart home experiences. With the Multi-Admin capability of Matter, users can share management permissions of Tapo P125M with family members via different ecosystems. 

The Tapo P125M is now available on Amazon.

Another Variant of the P125M, the TS15, May Be Purchased Exclusively From Best Buy

Specifications:

Dimensions: 2.4” x 1.5” x 1.3”

Power Requirements: AC 100-125V ~50/60Hz

Maximum Load: 1800W @ 120V ~15 A

Additional Resources for the P125M and the Matter Protocol:

Matter Protocol from TP-Link

Matter Setup Guide for Alexa, Google, and Apple

Why did the Matter set up of my Matter-certified device fail?

Matter Controller Compatibility

General Questions About Matter

UPDATE 3/2/2023: It appears that the Matter Protocol operates using the IPv6 protocol to communicate with your devices. Please ensure that your network supports IPv6 and if you are having difficulty adding the device, try enabling the IPv6 Options from your router's settings.

Please Note: The use of matter networking requires the presence of a matter controller on your network. If you have more than one matter controller on your network, it is recommended to choose one of the devices; devices added to one service can then be shared with another controller via a Share Code found in the app where the device was first configured.

Options
13 Reply
Re:TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug
2023-02-03 00:46:54

A Few Things that I have noticed as users are beginning to se tup their first matter devices:

1) Configure Matter First, then Add to Tapo App

You must set up the P125M in the app for the matter controller you wish to use.

Device that are first set up in the Tapo app will have their matter functionality disabled when the process is complete. 

After setting up the matter device in your app of choice (Alexa, Google Home, Homekit, HA) you can open the Tapo app to add the device to your TP-Link ID.

The Tapo App will detect that there is a preconfigured device on the network and will offer to add the device to your home. The device will then appear in your Tapo Home with the name used to set up the device in the other app.

2) HomeKit Matter Controller Heads-Up

HomeKit Controllers Use Two of the Available Matter Fabrics for the Device, whereas google and alexa will only use one fabric. I am reaching out to our engineering team to find out how many different "fabrics" or controllers the device can be attached to.

3) Using Pairing Codes for Additional Matter Fabrics / Controllers

If you wish to add the device to an additional Matter Controller, this will be done via the app the device was originally set up in. You must find the Pairing Code for the Linked Apps and Services and input this code into the second controller.

Options
2023-02-04 07:41:57

I just got this plug today to try out my first Matter device and I can't pair it with Alexa or Google Home. It gets added in the Tapo app just fine but no luck adding to Google Home.

When the plug is factory reset, I get prompt to add a Matter device, I scan th QR code and the plug connects to my wifi (stops blinking and changes to blue).

The Google Home gives an error after some time that it can't connect to the device and device doesn't get added.

Any help adding this plug to Google Home or Alexa as a matter device?

Options
2023-02-06 18:01:04 - last edited 2023-02-06 19:16:54

@UditB,

Would be more than happy to help!

While I do not think there have been multiple firmware releases for the device, I would double-check that your device is up to date.

You may try to factory reset the plug and first set the device up in either the Alexa or Google Home App. Make Sure that you haven't set the device up in the Tapo app before doing this. Also make sure that you are performing a hard reset on the device by pressing the button for 10 Seconds, rather than the 5 seconds required to reset the network settings.

You may also want to enter the code below the QR Code manually. Personally, I have found that the camera may scan the code too quickly and may receive the wrong code.

FYI - Alexa has not added pairing codes for matter devices into their application yet, so it is recommended to try using the google home app if you are also going to use the Alexa Matter Controller.

Options
2023-02-10 22:38:53

@Riley_S 

you should probably correct the voltage spec

Dimensions: 2.4” x 1.5” x 1.3”

Power Requirements: AC 100-125V ~50/60Hz

Maximum Load: 1800W @ 1220V ~15 A

Options
2023-02-13 18:14:54

@aliasornot,

Fixed. Thanks for catching it, although I might be impressed if a normal user were to find that powerful of an outlet for it to fit

Options
2023-03-02 00:35:26

@Riley_S Still no luck, just get a Can't find device error when trying to add to Google home.

Options
2023-03-02 01:23:17

@UditB,

I had the same thing when I was first setting the device up, but I was able to determine that it was Google's implementation that was causing the error. Out of curiosity, do you have a "Setup Matter-Enabled Device" as an option when selecting what type of device you would like to set up from the Google Home App?

First, what type of device are you using to add the device to your Google Home? and where do you receive the prompt to set up the device?

If you have a Samsung phone, or the matter notification appears outside of the Google Home App, try using the matter setup process for your phone. In my case, the matter notification would only appear outside the google home app, and as a SmartThigns PopUp.  After proceeding through some of the steps, you should be offered the option to add the device to another app (instead of SmartThings).

Two Other Notes: 

I had much better luck with using the matter code on the device, as my camera apps from google and smartthings were so quick to scan the QR code, I wasn't sure if the picture was ever in focus and correct.

There was a firmware update to the P125M sent out last Friday. The patch notes mention that it is supposed to fix some of the odd behaviors during the matter pairing process.

Options
2023-03-02 01:45:12 - last edited 2023-03-02 01:46:06

@Riley_S I'm on firmware 1.0.3 Build 230112 Rel.124621, when I check for updates it says firmware is up to date.

The steps I followed: Factory reset the plug. Go to Google Home app add new device, add matter device, type in the code. After that the plug connects to wifi, the stops blinking and becomes solid blue. Then after a bit Google gives the error that it can't find the device and doesn't add it. I have a Google Pixel phone. 

Options
2023-03-02 17:28:30 - last edited 2023-03-02 17:30:53

@UditB,

I know that Pixel phones enable a VPN connection by default, you may try disabling this to see if this is the cause. 

So when I had difficulties on my Samsung, it was always when I selected the matter device as an option from the google home app. I  had to use my phone's pop up. From what I can tell, there is a similar interface for pixels. Try taking a look at this article to see the steps that he followed and what the Google Fast Setup UI looks like: Matter Device Setup with Pixel 7

I think you will have better luck, if you avoid going directly to the google home app; at least it helped connect my device. It is worth noting, that at least in my case, once there was one p125m was setup through Google Home, it was far better at adding more matter-enabled devices.

Its also recommended to restart your phone and potentially clear the cache of the Google Home App to clear any settings or credentials that were incorrectly stored when first setting up the device.

Options
2023-03-03 03:39:12 - last edited 2023-03-14 01:31:38

Hi  @UditB

Hope you are doing welland thank you for your patience. I notice the engineer is following up on support email TKID230304554,eel free to let us know for any new observations~

To help look into the trouble you met and solve it more efficiently, we created a support email TKID230304554 and get it escalated to the senior engineer. They usually follow up within 1-2 business days after the weekend. 

Options