Votes

Kasa Doorbell - Specific Doorbell Notification for Android App

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-06 18:23:41 - last edited 2023-02-07 18:39:56
Tags: #doorbell
Model: KD110  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3.1.4

Currently the Kasa app for Android provides a notification that a doorbell press has occurred.

This notification can be toggled On or Off in the Device Settings for the doorbell, but nowhere else.

On the Android device, the notification text indicates it is for a doorbell button press. But the notification sound is just a stock Android notification sound, which does not differentiate it from any of dozens of notifications from other apps.

In Android settings for the Kasa app, notification toggles and settings are provided for:

- Camera

- General

- Safety

- Security

- Verification

- Miscellaneous

Each of those notification types can be toggled On and Off, and modified to play something other than the default notification tone.

Feature Request:

- Request the addition of a "Doorbell" notification type in Android App system settings.

- Doorbell notification type can be toggled On and Off.

- Doorbell notification type should, by default, use a tone that sounds like a doorbell.

- Doorbell notification type can be edited to allow the use of other / custom notification sounds.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Kasa Doorbell - Specific Doorbell Notification for Android App
2023-02-07 18:39:44

@Vapian,

Thanks for Providing all the Information like this, it makes my job way easier when forwarding these to our development team. I would love to see these features brought to our doorbell lines. With how many are set to release from both Kasa and Tapo, I would expect that we will see more of this request in the future.

There may be complications with how the coding of these notifications are set up for Android vs iPhone, as I believe that the notifications are based on the available triggers for the device, rather than the features of the device. Meaning that the camera is technically seen as a security and camera device. I will forward your request and let you know if I hear anything new.

Options
2023-02-07 20:42:30

@Riley_S 

I'm not sure about iOS, but I know that the Android app for the doorbell that I just replaced with a KD110, has a "Doorbell" notification type listed in the System / App settings. So I'm confident that this can be done at least on Android.

Will be keeping my eyes open for this!

Options
2023-04-20 17:36:41

@Riley_S 

After having to clear my app cache and data for another issue, it appears that the app has been updated since this request.

It appears that the app now has a specific Doorbell notification, which is great, even if it doesn't appear to have any custom sounds that match the KD110C chimes.

However, it seems that a lot of the previous notification types (e.g., Camera, Default, General, Safety, and Security) have either been removed, or maybe just rolled up into Miscellaneous. I seem to remember prior to this, using Camera to have a specific notification sound for Motion Detected, and that is no longer directly available.

There's also a new notification type for Geofencing Location, but no information I can find that details under what conditions this notification would be used.

Do you have any information on what exactly was done for Notifications in the latest app, or whether Camera-related notifications might be made available again?

Thanks!

Options
2023-04-20 22:24:53

@Vapian,

First Off: What is Your Phone Model, OS, and App Version?

Thanks for letting us know about this, it seems to be that only some devices are affected, as some of my teams' apps have the older options in addition to the newly added options, while my settings do not even have a miscellaneous option, so it looks like a bug was introduced. 

I let our teams know about it, and I will let you know when I hear something back, or see an update to the app become available. Both Kasa and Tapo are going through significant changes, such as matter availability being added, so I would imagine that an update will be given soon.

You are also correct in that there is no setting in the Kasa app that will use the geofencing notification yet. 

Options
RE:Kasa Doorbell - Specific Doorbell Notification for Android App
2023-04-21 01:34:22
Just came here to make that suggestion
Senior Network Engineer
Options
2023-04-21 01:43:36

I have additional requests that are technically associated with this.

1. Ring Doorbell notification had a screenshot of when it was pressed (will probably slow down notifications)
  2. Motion notification has a screenshot of motion

so probably more one request than 2.
Senior Network Engineer
Options
2023-04-21 01:47:36

@Riley_S 

Phone model: Google Pixel 6 Pro

OS version: Android 13, Security update March 5, 2023, Kernel 5.10.149-android13-4-693021-g2f0d2b7f95c6-ab9666078

App version: 3.3.251 Build 1174

Options
2023-04-26 17:11:21 - last edited 2023-04-26 17:11:44

@sysg,

I believe that the notifications, if subscribed to Kasa care offer the option to send a rich notification with the screenshot, however, you are correct in that it will slow the timing of the notification as there is extra data to render, process, and send. The extent to which the notification is delayed is highly varied for networks and users, so I would still try to see if it responds well to your network, as it is barely noticeable for many users.

eef53ed3e70744d99d06f37da31fa051

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/kasacare

Options
2023-04-26 22:29:48
i see that option is an additional $3 a month. i use a SD card, and was wondering if this could be an option from there somehow.
Senior Network Engineer
Options
2023-04-27 16:12:31

@sysg,

Unfortunately, not as it is. The Rich Notifications are a part of the cloud processing and subscription, and the addition of an SD card simply allows for local storage of recordings. I will however pass the feedback along that this is something that should be considered for the free version of Kasa Care, as this is feedback that our product team is always looking for.

From your other apps, did the use of a rich notification require any additional subscriptions or a more expensive version of a camera?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1230

Replies: 11

Voters 2

Tags

doorbell