Reconnecting after Wi-Fi network change

2024-02-01 03:58:04
Tags: #network

I just switched internet providers. How do I get the devices to connect to my new network? I have already cleared the cache and storage, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, but the devices are unreachable. I don't see a way to reset the app or get it to look for a new network. I tried resetting one of my smart bulbs (swithing it on/off five times) and it did blink as if it was searching for a network, but nothing happened after that. Now what?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Reconnecting after Wi-Fi network change
2024-02-02 23:54:59

Hey  @pikabun91,

You will need to perform a soft reset of your devices, and from there you can go to (+) Add Device in the Kasa app to setup the new wi-fi network.

If you only perform a soft reset, your settings will remain, and you will simply be prompted to enter the wi-fi name and password. Even if you used the same wireless name and password as your previous network, you would still likely need to go through this process.

Take a look at this page from your bulb's user guide to see the difference between the two reset methods.

6fea913b3ac34260a40a6a37044d1f4a

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2024-05-12 15:40:01

@Riley_S   I find this "solution" to getting my 35+ Kasa devices back up after a router reset to be unusable. Kasa app on iPhone no longer shows any devices, but continues to show the groups I had many bulbs on. My network name, ID - all that info did not change. My Alexa app works for all devices. How does it functiion properly when Kasa's own software can't remember anything if router is reset? infuriating. I don't have time to reset every single device. Very poor on Kasa's part.

Options
2024-05-14 21:15:57

@Grayslake,

Even if your network is the same there is still the potential for the devices to need reconfiguration, especially if your new network is using a different security method or encryption than your previous network. If your network was down while changing over, you may see if simply replugging the devices will allow them to connect with older credentials.

For Alexa, it would depend on the devices you are controlling. Many Alexa devices will use Zigbee, rather than Wi-Fi to communicate back to your Alexas - meaning they wouldnt be affected by a change in your Wi-Fi. 

With a soft reset to the devices, they will keep their rooms, automations, and names - you will simply be reconfiguring their wireless connection.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2024-06-10 20:49:46
Nothing you mention worked. Not even "soft" resets. Those bulbs I did get reconnected had to be done from scratch, resetting them completely. Alexa is still connecting to all the devices that were in Kasa before the Kasa app wiped out. BTW, nothing else on the network changed. Nothing.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 619

Replies: 4

Tags

network
Related Articles