Can someone provide a list of Smart plugs that support local schedule?

2024-03-06 07:07:52 - last edited 2024-03-06 07:10:10

I previously encountered an issue with my modem where it would become unstable if not restarted at least once a month. The most effective solution was to set up a routine that would turn the modem off at 3 AM, wait for a minute, and then turn it back on, all managed through a smart plug.

When I was using Amazon's smart plug, it effectively managed this task. However, after moving and switching my voice control system to Google Hub, I discarded the Amazon smart plug. It appears that my new home also has a modem issue that could be resolved with a scheduled restart at midnight to maintain its health. Consequently, I am in need of a smart plug capable of maintaining a local schedule without a WiFi connection.

Currently, I own the HS100 and HS105 models, but neither can automatically turn back on after losing an internet connection. I've come across discussions suggesting that certain Kasa or Tapo plug models might offer this functionality. I'm interested in a list of recently released models with these capabilities.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can someone provide a list of Smart plugs that support local schedule?
2024-03-08 00:00:48

@Tao,

With the recent smart plugs released, the scheduling feature is stored locally on the smart plug - however, having the connection cut out as the plug is executing the schedule could cause other problems entirely - meaning it should work, as long as settings don't go awry such as an out of sync time. For this reason we don't normally recommend this as a reliable use case, unless you are willing to test this function with your network configuraiton.

All of our current Smart Plugs operate over Wi-Fi, so there are no features you could look for beyond the local scheduling - which is listed as a supported feature on our spotlight pages and product datasheets. Off the top of my head, I actually cannot think of recent a model that does not support this function.

If you are able to maintain a Wi-Fi connection,and only your internet connection goes - there are a few features that you could try to take advantage of, such as the local communication via Matter with other hubs; or you could even consider taking advantage of the latest Tapo Hub and Smart Plug, which can use the the Local Smart Action feature of the hub to send commands from inside your network.

I would first make sure that your modem or router do not support an automatic reboot feature, as this is becoming a common feature nowadays.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 123

Replies: 1

Related Articles