BE800 Device Connection Notification Issue after firmware upgrade

2024-04-04 03:37:37
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Build 20240227 Rel 33191

Since upgrading the TP Link BE800 router firmware to firmware build 20240227 rel 33191,  I am getting continual notifications through the tether app that  new devices are being added to the network. I can receive a hundred notifications in rapid fire sequence. However, these are not new devices. The devices do not appear to be losing network connection. This can occur at various times throughout the day.

There is no indication of network disruption or any compromise in security.

Is it possible to downgrade to an earlier firmware version? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:BE800 Device Connection Notification Issue after firmware upgrade
2024-04-04 16:40:39

Hey @LJG5000,

Do you happen to know what type of device is causing the behavior? If you have devices with Private Addressing or Randomized MAC Addresses, you may be getting a new notification whenever these devices change connection methods.

You can turn off the New Device Notifications Through the Tether App Settings: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2916/

I have not seen the entire patch notes for the most recent update, as they will be published tomorrow. Unless they indicated that the version can not be downgraded in the patch notes, you would be able to recover your firmware down to the earlier version.

Options
2024-04-04 16:58:14

@Riley_S 

Thanks. No. The 80 devices impacted are not receiving new MAC addresses, and the issue goes beyond MAC or Android devices that randomize these addresses for privacy.

Obviously, I can stop the notifications. However, I need to know why they maybe occurring.

is there any chance their is a bug in this firmware release? I have a feeling your development team has seen this before.

Options
2024-04-04 20:34:33

@LJG5000 

I believe I figured this out myself. I am guessing there was WiFi channel interference and that some/many of my 2.4 GHZ devices were dropping from the network for a very short period (seconds). I changed the 2.54 GHZ channel and the issue so far has not re-occurred. 

In a way this may be validation that the messages were actually helpful in validating an issue that may have gone unnoticed. Also, I have found the auto channel selection to be subpar. 

I am not certain however, that this will resolve the issue- though channel congestion is a problem in my area. 

LJG5000 wrote

@Riley_S 

Thanks. No. The 80 devices impacted are not receiving new MAC addresses, and the issue goes beyond MAC or Android devices that randomize these addresses for privacy.

Obviously, I can stop the notifications. However, I need to know why they maybe occurring.

is there any chance their is a bug in this firmware release? I have a feeling your development team has seen this before.

Options
2024-04-04 21:48:00

Hey  @LJG5000,

Thanks for the information; our teams were already on the lookout for similar cases or behaviors - but we haven't seen anything similar so far.

It makes sense that channel interference could cause this behavior, we just never thought it would show itself like this. When/If the behavior shows itself, you would likely be able to identify the behavior by pinging an affected device, or running a ping from one - it would likely show dropped packets.

Previously, did you have a channel set, or were you using the 'Auto' Option for Channel Selection? If it is a channel-related issue, I would recommend performing a channel scan on your phone to see which groups of channels have the most interference.

I will let our team know about your case to see if there is some kind of optimization that can be made to at the very least prevent the spamming of notifications.

Options
2024-04-04 23:19:02

@LJG5000 

Hi Riley- I am not certain if the problem stemmed from the channel setting. I have the channel set manually and I did use WiFi Analyzer to try to determine the best channel. 
The "spamming" was probably a good thing, as it alerted me to some issue. Even when the notifications were coming- they didn't occur all of the time. So I guess it is not like a firmware bug.

What would be nice its to have the option of a detailed system log showing all router events. I know this is not typically a "home router" concern, but I believe ASUS routers have this option- and it would be helpful for troubleshooting. It might impact performance- which is why it should be optional. 

Options
2024-04-05 01:25:20 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@LJG5000

The FW version 1.1.1 is most probably not downgradable - check this post or this one.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 175

Replies: 6

Related Articles