Dimmer Switch has power, but lights won’t turn on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-03 00:26:35
Model: Kasa HS220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Dimmer switch connected to red (hot) on the "line" screw, and the white (neutral) but I left the ground disconnected as I do not have that wire available. The dimmer switch shows power and I can connect it to the wifi but the lights do not turn on now. I put the old switch back in and it works again for now but frustrated I can't get this dimmer to work. 

FYI: current switch is not a dimmer. Are certain lights not dimmable? These are pretty old

Options
1 Reply
Re:Dimmer Switch has power, but lights won’t turn on
2024-01-03 19:17:16

@TheCoco17,

The ground should be present in all wall boxes and is a requirement for the proper function of the device, let alone helps in preventing the device from becoming overloaded.

You are correct, though; there are lights or fixtures that will not accept a dimming signal; you are looking for bulbs or fixtures indicating that they are Leading Edge Dimming / Triac Phase Cut compatible.

Lastly, it is important to remember that there are a variety of wiring setups out there. It is possible that you do not have a compatible wiring configuration, such as if the light is actually between the switch and breaker, rather than after the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 512

Replies: 1

Related Articles