New to Tapo cameras... how to download video?

3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C211  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

Hi folks, I bought two of the C211 cameras to monitor my house when I'm gone on vacation.  They both have SD cards that the cameras have formatted.   I can view the feed live, but if I try to download video, I get the following message:

Unable to download clips.  Your phone is not connected to the same network as your Tapo device.

Is the cloud service required to be able to download videos when I'm not at home (on the same network)?  To be clear, I have great wifi at home and where I am but of course it's not the same network.  It's hard to believe Tapo wouldn't allow me to download the video when they're connected to wifi. 

Bonus question:

I'm getting a lot of "false alarms" for motion and people detection.  When I look at the video, there's nothing.  Not even moving shadows as far as I can see.  Typical?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:New to Tapo cameras... how to download video?
3 weeks ago

Hey  @John-Charleston,

this is specifically in regards to the fact that you are away from your home network. The clips from your SD card can take up quite a bit of room since they are the source files and not compressed like the live view. In order to prevent the App or your cameras from taking up your entire data plan, your camera's SD card footage can only be downloaded locally - meaning through Manual SD card removal or via a phone on your home Wi-Fi.

The cloud recordings option through Tapo Care should allow you to download while away from home, as this is stored on our servers, rather than your home network.

Depending on the features of your model and hardware version, there may be settings to set an activity zone or sensitivity for each type of detection. I would first take a look at these to see if there are any adjustments that you can make to help prevent false detections.

Options
Re:New to Tapo cameras... how to download video?
3 weeks ago

Riley_S wrote

Hey  @John-Charleston,

this is specifically in regards to the fact that you are away from your home network. The clips from your SD card can take up quite a bit of room since they are the source files and not compressed like the live view. In order to prevent the App or your cameras from taking up your entire data plan, your camera's SD card footage can only be downloaded locally - meaning through Manual SD card removal or via a phone on your home Wi-Fi.

The cloud recordings option through Tapo Care should allow you to download while away from home, as this is stored on our servers, rather than your home network.

Thanks  @Riley_S 

That's a deal breaker for me.  I have another brand cameras and have no problem downloading stills and video when on another network.  The issue is that if someone breaks into my home when I'm not there, I can get an alert and download an image of the intruder at the time it's happening.  If the intruder takes the camera, I still have the image.  With this system I can't download an image/video and if the intruder just takes the camera, all is lost.  If that's how it is with Tapo, then it won't work for me.

It seems like it would be more user friendly to let me decide how much room I have on my phone or how much of my data plan it would use up. (none if I'm on wifi)  

This only leaves the option for a user to subscribe to the cloud service at X dollars per year. That would be more than I paid for the cameras themselves. frown

If that's the only option, I'll just use these for outdoor wildlife cameras and buy another brand.

Options