Tapo C425 Camera

Tapo C425 Camera

Tapo C425 Camera
Tapo C425 Camera
Wednesday
Model: Tapo C425  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.20

I've installed a new security system using Tapo C425 cameras, I've also updated my WiFi with an Orbi 7 with 4 satelittes placed throughout the house. I also live in a concrete block house. I can't figure out why one camera is further from a satelltie or the router operates well with a strong signal while another camera is closer to a satellite with a very strong signal. I have moved satellites around but in a few cameras nothing seems to work. I keep looking for data on signal stength and what is the recommended range, but no luck.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo C425 Camera
Thursday

Hey @FE1011,

Typically these cases are a result of how your network manages the connections between devices. The C425 also uses a 2.4Ghz connection, so it is very possible that it can receive a stable connection over a longer range.

I am not sure what settings are available to Orbis but you should see if you have specific client settings. On Deco, it is possible to force a device to a specific node - see if you have a similar feature. I would also recommend turning off any other advanced features you may have for individual devices, as these can often affect the device's stability.

While you were testing, did you leave your nodes in that location for a day or two without repowering the cameras? It is possible that it has connected to another node and has become 'stuck' to that node until it refreshes its IP.

Also, depending on the placement of the camera, it is possible that there are additional sources of interference or additional barriers preventing the connection. I have seen this often when placing a camera in a garage, as they wall between a home and garage is much thicker and more difficult to pass a signal through.

Options
Re:Tapo C425 Camera
Friday

@Riley_S  Thank you for your input. I have check all my cameras on my Orbi router and every camera connection type is 2.4GHz one camera shows a link rate 65 Mbps another camera at at 52 Mbps another just shows the 2.4GHz connection without a link rate. On the cameras with no link rate and I suspect it's because they are sittnig static and not detecting any movement and transmitting data.. I used to have Blink cameras and I don't recall having any connection issues or buffering as the Tapo cameras tend to have.There is a solution to that.

I'm don't want to design anything I want a basic oprational understanding and information profied is useless for that. I was going over the dashboard looking at Network Connection which told me what network I was connected abd  signal strength. I tapped the signal bar and something new popped up, I found a negative number -XX and (RSSI). I had no idea what it meant me so I searched the internet and I get all kinds of technical information, something of it deeper than I wanted to go, so I kept searching and found a basic explanation and how to interpret it. I was actually hoping to find a Tapo C425 operational overview for dummies, the cameras are mounted: now what, rather than just another sales pitch. 

I now have a camera that I was having conectivity issues with, so I deleted from the network, reset it, and tried to connect again and everything goes right until the last step and I get an error message; no internet, unable to connect.

Options