Smart bulb suddenly turns on and off randomly after 2 years of working fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-12 22:24:46 - last edited 2021-06-23 01:03:13
Model: LB120  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.11

My LB120 smart bulb suddenly turns on and off randomly after 2 years of working fine.

I did everything as a good engineer geek that I am:

• Delete schedule
  • Remove it from app
  • Reinstall app
  • Reset to factory settings many times
  • Let bulb rest unplugged for a few days
  • Put the bulb in a different lamp right next to the router

No matter what I do, when I reinstall and reconfigure it, it starts turning on and off randomly.

I have 20 other Kasa bulbs and plugs and they all work perfectly... except this one.

I think it needs to go to the garbage unless you have another suggestion of something I could try.  Don't talk to me about wifi signal.  That's not it.

For the price they sell, it was supposed to last 10 years but it lasted only 2 years...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart bulb suddenly turns on and off randomly after 2 years of working fine-Solution
2021-06-23 01:03:05 - last edited 2021-06-23 01:03:13

@Maleko  Hello, 

Sorry for the late update, 

KL110 V1 & KL130 V2 auto reboot issue has been fixed on the new firmware

Please confirm your smart bulbs are on the latest firmware (Kasa app-- Settings--- Firmware update )

Here is the related thread: 

[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Smart bulb suddenly turns on and off randomly after 2 years of working fine
2020-12-10 06:18:00

@Patthegeek 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

There was large possibility this LB120 might be broken and it was hard to say what would be the problem.

Later if you need any further help, we would be glad to provide further assistance.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-01-05 08:22:07

@TP-Link 

Hello I have the very same problem with my 2 year old light bulb Lb120 that suddenly started acting weirdly about a week ago... 

I have done all the same things as Patthegeek mentionned with no result. 

What can TP link do for us for that matter please?

Is it normal that after 2 years the bulb would act like this? If that is so, I think consumers have to know about this issue beforehand... 

Could we benefit from a warranty or something? 

Regards, 

Options
2021-01-06 19:59:29

@Patthegeek 

This issue look VERY similar to my HS103 and KP400 smart plugs who turn on/off after 1+ years fine... look like something nasty is happening with TP-Link Kasa products recently.

Please revise and participate to my thread here :

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/236596?page=1

Options
2021-01-12 05:51:41

@Yhide 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

As for the service time of the Kasa smart bulbs, they are mainly related to the using environment and there is no two –years limitation.

For the detailed warranty procedure, please have a check with the local support:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/replacement-warranty/

and if you would like to spend more time with us, we would be glad to forward your case to the senior engineers to see where the problem is;

at the same time, please help us check the following information:

1. How frequently did the LB120 turn on/ off randomly, like  2 or 3 times a day?

2. if possible, could you please record a video clip and send to us?

3. What is the model number of the home router and did you use any third-party programs, like Home Assistant or Home Bridge to control the LB120?

4.if resetting the LB120 and leaving it unconfirmed, would it automatically turn on and off again?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-16 06:57:48

@TP-Link 

Hello, thank you for your reply 

1. The number of times it turns off/on per day is definitely random : some days it turn on/off more than 10 times, some other days it only turn on/off 2 or 3 times. 

2. As it occurs randomly, I don't know how to record a video =( 

But I would imagine that the device itself have some kind of activity logs that could show traces of turn on/off. If it is possible and you have a procedure I could send it to you for debug. 

3. I always used the same ISP internet box/router to connect the smart light bulb to wifi when it worked, and since the problem has started occurring it was the same router used. So I don't think that is a relevant information. But I give you the reference anyway : I'm living in france, my isp is free.fr and the internet box used is at the following link (https://www.free.fr/freebox/freebox-mini-4k/) 

4. Yes! That is a good question =) I tried to use the lb120 as a standard light bulb so without pairing it to kasa app and I still widness the behavior of random turning on/off without any interaction while the normal electric switch is turn on. What is odd : sometime the light bulb (not paired) is working fine (turn on) for hours and then suddenly it turns off by itself for some minutes, then turns on by itself for another hour or so... And then randomly turns on and off randomly. 

I hope these informations can help. Thank you for your time

Options
2021-04-08 07:25:00

I'm seeing similar behaviour - the bulb will turn on via its schedule in the morning, and then turn itself off a few minutes later, even though nothing is scheduled until the evening.

I have an LB120 bulb, hardware version 1.0, firmware version 1.8.11 - since I've only purchased it recently, I'm returning it to Amazon.

Options
2021-04-09 11:35:09

@DominicWatkins Hello, 

Thank you for your feedback, sorry to hear that you are going to return it.

If you still like to try some troubleshooting for smart bulb, you could try to create a Guest WiFI network for smart bulb, and do not connect other device including your cell phone to that Guest WIFI and see if the connection will become stable or not. 

Please also disable the 3rd party app to exclude the issue,  like Home Automation/ Alexa /Google home etc. 

Double check Kasa app settings: Smart action/Away mode/ Schedule/Timer , please delete related settings first . 

For customers who met the similar problem, you could also try the above suggestions , thank you. 

Options
2021-05-26 19:12:45

@Patthegeek 

I've just purchased three KL130 bulbs and they have been doing this from day one.

I have a KL120 which I have had for two years and that is absolutely fine and is in the same room.

The three new bulbs are in wall uplights and they switch on and off quickly but randomly. Sometimes they even do it in sequence one after the other.

As you said, WiFi signal is not the issue as I have a few other devices in that room with zero issues along with the KL120 which is fine.

Options
2021-05-27 12:27:42

Maleko wrote

@Patthegeek 

I've just purchased three KL130 bulbs and they have been doing this from day one.

I have a KL120 which I have had for two years and that is absolutely fine and is in the same room.

The three new bulbs are in wall uplights and they switch on and off quickly but randomly. Sometimes they even do it in sequence one after the other.

As you said, WiFi signal is not the issue as I have a few other devices in that room with zero issues along with the KL120 which is fine.

@Maleko I suggest that you reach TP-Link technical support immediately regarding this issue, because some other products such as HS103 and KP400 smart plugs were affected by a similar issue and TP-Link just sent me a "beta" firmware for my devices that apparently fix this flashing/reboot issue, so far I run the "beta" firmware for a few days without a single issue, so maybe that something is available for the KL130/120 bulbs if the issue is the same.

Options
Re:Smart bulb suddenly turns on and off randomly after 2 years of working fine-Solution
2021-06-23 01:03:05 - last edited 2021-06-23 01:03:13

@Maleko  Hello, 

Sorry for the late update, 

KL110 V1 & KL130 V2 auto reboot issue has been fixed on the new firmware

Please confirm your smart bulbs are on the latest firmware (Kasa app-- Settings--- Firmware update )

Here is the related thread: 

[Solution] Kasa devices reboot randomly

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11392

Replies: 13