Cannot block the 'camera' VLAN to access router management UI with OpenVPN enabled

Cannot block the 'camera' VLAN to access router management UI with OpenVPN enabled

2024-07-15 18:31:28
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.5

I would like to seek help on the blocking issues I have with ER605. I hope that I have just missed something simple.

Requirements:
I am setting up ER605 in standalone mode. I want to use it at my house with two VLANs and OpenVPN. One VLAN is for home devices and the other is for security cameras. I want the cameras VLAN to have no outbound access whatsoever, not even to the router's management Web UI. On the other hand, I want to access the cameras from the 'home devices' VLAN and from outside the house when I tunnel into the network using OpenVPN. I believe this is a common setup for homes with security cameras.

I have no Wi-Fi setup at this point. So, my setup includes only the ER605, test laptops connected to the VLANs ports using LAN cables, and a Comcast modem connected to the WAN port.

The Issue:
If I have OpenVPN enabled, I cannot block devices in the camera VLAN to access the router management Web UI. I have achieved all other blockages per my requirements above.

I regard this as a potential attack surface as the only thing gating someone from the camera subnet is the username/passwod to the router UI. If someone can get through the login page, he/she can delete all ACL rules and then have access to everything.

Steps to Repro:
1. Set the IP for the default 'vlan1' to 10.1.1.0/24, with DHCP for the same subnet. I'd refer to this VLAN as 'home devices' VLAN.

2. Create a new 'vlan2' for security cameras. Set the IP to 10.2.2.0/24 and DHCP for the same subnet.

3. Assign physical LAN ports:
- WAN is on port 1
- vlan1 has port 2-4 (UNTAG)
- vlan2 has port 5 (UNTAG)

4. Now the ER605 router itself has two internal IPs: 10.1.1.1 and 10.2.2.1. Clients in either VLAN can access the Web management page by browsing to 10.1.1.1 or 10.2.2.1.

5. Add a firewall ACL rules to block clients in vlan2 (cameras):
5.1 Block access from vlan2 to vlan1 (camera > home devices) using the LAN>LAN block.
5.2 Block access from vlan2 to WAN using the LAN>WAN block and appropriate vlan2 IPGROUP as the source and IPGROUP_ANY as the desnitation.
5.3 Block access from vlan2 to the router using LAN>LAN block and the destination = Me.

6. Then I test using a PC plugged into vlan2 (port 5) to browse to the ER605 router using 10.2.2.1 or 10.1.1.1. The management UI page does not show up. This is expected. The vlan2 PC also can't access the Internet or any other devices in vlan1.

7. Set up an OpenVPN server in full mode with IP pool = 10.3.3.0/24. The router now has a third internal IP of 10.3.3.1.

I then tested using an OpenVPN client to tunnel into the network. It gets an IP from the OpenVPN IP pool (10.3.3.6.) As expected, the OpenVPN client can talk to devices within both the 'home' VLAN and the 'cameras' VLAN. Devices in the cameras VLAN CANNOT talk to the OpenVPN client (I tried pinging from the camera VLAN to the VPN client at 10.3.3.6.) I tested turning ACL rules on/off and concluded that the router regards the OpenVPN clients as WAN and as such the camera devices cannot get to them due to the ACL rule #5.2 above (LAN>WAN with destination = IPGROUP_ANY.)

So far so good.

8. The issue: Any device in vlan2 (cameras) can still access the router management UI by browsing to the router's OpenVPN internal IP (10.3.3.1.) This can be done whether or not there is an active VPN tunnel. The only way for me to block it is to disable the OpenVPN server, rendering the OpenVPN service unusable.

The other two internal IPs of the router (10.1.1.1 and 10.2.2.1) are still correctly blocked by ACL.

I even tried adding a redundant LAN>WAN block and explicitly specify the router's internal IP of 10.3.3.1 as the destination. As expected, this new ACL rule is of no use as it is redundant to the ACL rule #5.2 above (LAN>WAN with destination = IPGROUP_ANY.)

I can't use the LAN>LAN block here as the OpenVPN subnet (10.3.3.0/24) is not regarded as LAN and is not selectable in the LAN>LAN rule.

What did I miss? Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance for any tips.  If the solution would be for me to use another VPN flavor beside OpenVPN, I can consider that. I can also consider upgrading to the newer ER7206 router if this issue is not present there.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Cannot block the 'camera' VLAN to access router management UI with OpenVPN enabled
2024-07-16 01:00:51

Hi @blanc99 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Instead of using the full mode, try the regular mode.

Because when you use full mode, everything on the local should be accessible which is how the full mode writes.

I think the regular mode can do it.

And configure the allowed IP address, that's the way how you allow the subnets to be available in the VPN.

When you allow the networks, it is subnet-defined. You can set the camera into a different subnet like 192.168.X.X. And the allowed IP can be set to 10.0.0.X/23 or /16 if you need access to other subnets.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Cannot block the 'camera' VLAN to access router management UI with OpenVPN enabled
2024-07-16 23:15:58 - last edited 2024-07-16 23:24:27

@Clive_A Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately the full mode being on/off does not make a diference for my issue. Devices in the camera subnet can still access the router management UI page at the .1 address of the OpenVPN range.

Options
2024-07-16 23:23:51

I may have found a solution to this issue. I added a new VLAN called 'vlan3' with the same IP as that of the OpenVPN range (10.3.3.1 for the router itself) with DHCP turned off. This seems to make the 10.3.3.1 IP included in the definition of 'Me' in the LAN>LAN block ACL. Given the LAN>LAN block with Camera>Me setting, devices in the camera VLAN (vlan2) can no longer access the router UI page at 10.3.3.1. Everything else remains working and I didn't need to add any ACL rule.

Seemingly the problem is solved, although the solution feels a bit like a hack as the vlan3 is not needed for any actual functionality.

I will post an update if I run into any other issue.

Options
2024-07-17 01:24:43

Hi @blanc99 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

blanc99 wrote

I may have found a solution to this issue. I added a new VLAN called 'vlan3' with the same IP as that of the OpenVPN range (10.3.3.1 for the router itself) with DHCP turned off. This seems to make the 10.3.3.1 IP included in the definition of 'Me' in the LAN>LAN block ACL. Given the LAN>LAN block with Camera>Me setting, devices in the camera VLAN (vlan2) can no longer access the router UI page at 10.3.3.1. Everything else remains working and I didn't need to add any ACL rule.

Seemingly the problem is solved, although the solution feels a bit like a hack as the vlan3 is not needed for any actual functionality.

I will post an update if I run into any other issue.

Ah, that's something I tried before as a workaround. I cannot recall if this is effective or not. You can update this thread and I will keep an eye on this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options