Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

142 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?
2023-06-26 12:24:49

@phillip_mcmahon 

I don't know for the official releases, but for my X20 they provided a beta firmware which works. Smart DHCP stays disabled on my configuration.

So I am clearly afraid of updating the firmware l I don't do it as there are no new features anyway... so it's ok. But i agree that next time, not sure TP-Link will be chosen for mesh at home.

Options
2023-06-26 12:31:29

@frederikk but 4 years in and it's still not consistently available in final-release firmware for all models that have this most ironically titled "Smart DHCP" feature.

In AP mode there should be no services offered. It's that simple. I have no idea how tp-link have managed to make this one simple requirement into such a farce.

Options
2023-08-02 14:24:27

@phillip_mcmahon 

Still pretty irritated at the wast of time this has been...

Before I found this thread, I spent many hours being gobsmacked at the sudden appearance of unexplained (and wrong) DHCP router addresses killing intenet access for every DHCP device on my network. 

It was really hard to locate the rogue DHCP server was but it eventually came down to the Decos. Turns out that that these devices, if they don't detect another DHCP server at startup, and even when set on AP modewill automatically start up their own DHCP server! 

So on Decos' "AP" mode is, um, is sorta' but not really AP mode.

This undocumented  "Not really AP mode" is not 'smart,' it is ridiculous. In the (rest of the) universe of wireless devices, selecting AP mode means the DHCP. SERVER. IS. TURNED. OFF.  This so-called 'Smart DHCP' would be funny, a joke, except as someone once said, 'everything's funny until its happening to you.'

Selecting AP mode is supposed to mean the DHCP. SERVER. IS. TURNED. OFF.

Turns out that that when using a C4000XG (Centurylink FiOS) as the upstream router, if the DEVOs (set up in "AP" mode) come on before the C4000XG's DHCP server is running, the Devos' unwelcome "Not really in AP mode" DHCP server kicks on. Next, the C4000XG comes up, detects the Deco's running DHCP service, & to prevent multiple (conflicting) DHCP servers on the same subnet, automatically shuts down its (correct) DHCP service... & BTW, I think that's smart. But now the Deco's "Smart DHCP" (giving out the WRONG router address) stays running.

And my network's stuck on Deco's bogus DHCP server and every DHCP device is spiked by an incorrect router address. 

Comon' guys, let's fix it so that selecting AP mode on the Deco means its DHCP. SERVER. IS. TURNED. OFF.

Thanks for reading this, my "ventilation."

Options
2023-08-02 14:45:44

@Primumparum 

Your challenge is that tp-link first got complaints about this in 2019. We're 4 years in and they STILL think this feature adds value. The ability to disable it is only on some devices and not necessarily available in final release firmware. That's the fruit of 4 years knowing this feature is killing people's networks.

Imagine if all you wanted was some dumb but RF-capable mesh APs to sit in an existing network, perhaps that network doesn't use DHCP and all devices are statically assigned. Well, tp-link thinks that's not your decision. They know best. Whether you like it, want it, or not, a DHCP server will be spun up regardless.

AP mode should NEVER have DHCP services running by design. If through user/owner choice you want some other DHCP service popping up that should always and only ever be an explicit choice when in AP mode. It should never have been a hidden, not really documented feature that surprised folks by breaking their networks.

Now all this has been said hundreds of times. The most astounding thing is that this "feature" is still present, still creating havoc and tp-link simply won't disable it by default in AP mode in ALL devices in final release firmware versions. Sell your kit and move on to something that's supported. Ironically the prosumer/business range of EAP devices from tp-link works superbly and I suspect an entirely different product team is responsible for that.

Options
Re:Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?
2023-08-02 15:01:38

Only "solution" I found was to buy a single M5 and put beta 1.6.1 on it https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/274630

Set it up as the master AP and disable "Smart" DHCP.

Not really a good solution and constrains better devices in the X range, but a workaround nonetheless. Not sure if M5 on 1.6.1 breaks other stuff.

Really shocking product design - no more TP Link kit in my future.

Options
2023-08-03 01:25:03

@atca 

I was one of the original users affected by this issue. I permanently by powering of my Decos, and removing them from my network.  I had the M3 variety at that time and when they finally released a beta code, it was not for my M3.  I still follow this thread to see if they ever announce they fixed it for real.

I will never buy or recommend another tp-link product over their way they handled this issue.  I thought Netgear was bad for not providing a longer free support period on their products.  So, choose.  Buy something else.  Avoid TP-Link.  What good is support if they don't help anyway.

Good Day

Options
2023-08-03 03:12:48

@GPGeek @Primumparum 

@phillip_mcmahon @atca  @mccabet 

There are plenty of models which have added the option to turn on/off smart DHCP under AP mode on the latest official firmware:

Deco Firmware Updates Adding Signal Selection and VPN for Multiple Models

Deco M5 1.7.1

Deco M9 Plus 1.6.1

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-08-03 04:09:13
Why should I purchase another TP-Link product when you failed to support the one I already purchased? You got my money once, you are not getting any more of it. Want to change my mind? Upgrade my unused M3 Deco to one you have this problem fixed in released version and I'll give it a shot. If it does work as it should, then I'll pass the word. Still have that bad taste. Good Day.
Options
2023-08-03 07:14:05

@David-TP 

And you're still blindly defending this position after 4 years.

People TODAY are still having their networks disrupted through a simple but dangerous design decision.

If you can state today that ALL models with the ability for "Smart DHCP" have it disabled by default and for ALL models this is available in final release firmware then tp-link is finally in a good place. After 4 years. But we know this isn't the case.

Why are tp-link so insistent on defending this feature when your paying users tell you what chaos it is causing on their networks????

Options
2023-08-03 09:25:16 - last edited 2023-08-03 09:26:26

While I am also affected by this issue (and I cannot disable it on m4 V2), I doubt it will ever be disabled by default. 

My understanding is that the deco series is by design meant for BFUs. As such, they lack many very basic settings, e.g., selection of WiFi channel. Most of BFUs probably do not use AP mode at all. And even if yes, TPlink might be worried of receiving support request for not being able to connect to the units because the external DHCP server failed.

Thus, I believe that the issue is actually elsewhere. It lies in the presentation of the Deco series by TP-Link, they should have mentioned explicitly not only what are they good for, but also what are their limitations due to the design (of course, they can link to their other products). But since this was not (and probably has not) been done, I feel that we are all trapped by this bad decision.

Options