Cannot open ports on Deco 9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-08 10:05:09 - last edited 2022-09-08 01:42:17
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am trying to set up port forwarding on my Deco M9.

Router is working fine, but cannot open any ports for external access.

I am trying to connect my D-Link cameras.

I can acess the cameras through web interface, but cannot access externally.  For example if I enter 192.1.xxx.xxx:8085 in browser the camera setup page can be accessed.

Port forwarding tools show ports as closed - so if I check port 8085 in example above, it is closed.

No firewall or antivirus is active.

I have followed the instructions in the tutorial, so IP address of camera is correct, port is correct, but still cannot open.

IP4 WAN IP Address is a valid public address.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Troubleshooting] Cannot open ports on Deco-Solution
2022-02-22 09:21:50 - last edited 2022-08-03 08:26:52

Hi, If you have any issues about port forwarding or the opened ports are still closed, the following suggestions will provide you with some guidance.

1. Failed to configure port forwarding.
First, please refer to this link-How to set up Port Forwarding feature on the Deco? for the detailed configuration guide of port forwarding.
Then the following situations are what we have received from the users,

• The device is not on the “Select from Device” list.

Please check whether the server is used a static IP address. If yes, please change it to DHCP

Most of the time, Devices, such as NAS, NVR, Virtual Box, and PI-Hole are usually set up with static IP addresses, instead of DHCP, if you do not use to use DHCP, this link would provide a workaround.

Forward port to missing device

• Some error messages pop out during the configuration.

The troubleshooting depends on the error code and please comment below with a screenshot of your error message.

2. Port forwarding is set up correctly, but ports aren't open.

• First, please check whether you have a public IP address under Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4.

If this IP is a private address, you might have a double NAT issue and the port is blocked by the ISP gateway.
The available solutions are:

1. Set up Deco as an access point under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation mode;

2. Open the same port for Deco on the ISP gateway.

• Check the firewall settings on the server.

Windows firewall will block the connection from the different subnet, and it will divide the difference according to the network location you have chosen.

Please refer to this link to check whether you have a public IPV4 address and the LAN server is on the Public network profile:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/785/

If the IPV4 IP is a public IP address, the configuration has no obvious mistakes, your case needs to be under further analysis, please comment below with the following details:

1.Please make sure UPNP disabled under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

2. Which ports did you wish to open? For which local devices?
3. Are you able to access this server via the same port on a local client?
4. How did you find out the port is still closed?

---If you have enabled TP-Link DDNS, except testing via the DDNS, please also test whether the server is accessible remotely via WAN IP address.

We do need more cases to complete the troubleshooting guides and please let me know which one is quite similar to your case, and if any of the suggestions works.
Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
30 Reply
Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-09 01:21:06

@Kamleman 

What is the WAN/internet IP address of the Deco?

Please use the computer in the same network to do the tests below and tell us the results.

A. Use LAN IP+port to test if the camera can be accessed from LAN;

B. Use WAN IP+port on LAN PC to test if the port is opened.

Meanwhile, please disable the firewall and anti-virus software on the computer. 

Besides, please use telnet to test:

1. in the same network, please go to run—cmd—telnet lan ip port number 

2. in external network, please run—cmd—telnet wan ip port number

Note: Please show us the pictures of the test results.

Any updates, just let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-09 03:14:04

Kevin_Z wrote

@Kamleman 

What is the WAN/internet IP address of the Deco?

WAN address of the Deco is 42.192.xxx.xx

LAN address is 192.168.68.1 (this was assigned automatically by Deco, out of interest I wonder why - most other routers I have used assign 192.168.0.1)

Please use the computer in the same network to do the tests below and tell us the results.

A. Use LAN IP+port to test if the camera can be accessed from LAN;

Yes it can.  Screenshot below.

B. Use WAN IP+port on LAN PC to test if the port is opened.

No, cannot. "Server not responding"

Meanwhile, please disable the firewall and anti-virus software on the computer. 

There is no firewall or anti virus running.

Besides, please use telnet to test:

1. in the same network, please go to run—cmd—telnet lan ip port number 

2. in external network, please run—cmd—telnet wan ip port number

Lan works.  Wan does not. (I used Netcat not Telnet)

Also checked using external network, meaning completely different network, using port checker.  Port is not open.

Note: Please show us the pictures of the test results.

Here is the setup in the Deco App for completeness

Any updates, just let us know. 

Appreciate your help.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-10 08:50:16

@Kevin_Z  Hi Kevin, any further advice on how to proceed?  Still cannot open any ports.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-12 10:46:28

@Kamleman 

Thanks for your reply.

Would you please open another port for a local server to do a comparison analysis. 

And please show us whether you can access it with LAN IP + port number/ WAN IP+ port number. 

Besides, you can use the telnet to test it as well. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-12 12:44:42

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin.

I have 6 cameras each assigned to a different Port. None of them work through the WAN IP.  LAN works fine.

Telnet is the same 

Thanks

Kamesam

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-15 08:54:10

@Kevin_Z  Kevin, I don't know if this will help to troubleshoot, but my set up is a fibre PPOE connection with one port of the Deco assigned as VLAN.

Meanwhile would appreciate some ideas on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-16 05:49:02

@Kamleman 

Thanks a lot for your additional information. 

It is hard to say whether it is the VLAN causes the port forwarding failure, but theoretically, it won't affect the performance or advanced features, like port forwarding or so. 

To fix your problem, our engineer will email you later, if you are willing to do further troubleshooting, please check your inbox. 

Have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-16 10:33:35

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you Kevin.

The problem is now solved, and for benefit of others, I will explain what I did.

1. Disconnected everything from the Deco except the VLAN connection.

2. Switched off all devices, computers, cameras, everything.  For those cameras with static IPs, changed to DHCP

3. Changed Router IP to 192.168.0.1 (as I explained earlier for some reason when I set up the Deco it was automatically set to 192.168.68.1)

4. Deleted all IP assignments and port forwarding rules in the Deco app.

5. Then switched on one camera. 

6. Assigned port for that camera to port forwarding in the app.

7. It works!  Repeat for other cameras.  So far 5 installed and working.  Two more to go, but I guess should be OK.

8. I don't know what the problem was...maybe the port forwarding didn't like the LAN address of the Deco?  Something for you guys to look at maybe.

Regards

Kamesam

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2019-07-17 00:57:38

@Kamleman 

Hi Kamesam, thanks for your feedback, we have noted that. 

From your description, seems that the IP interactions among these devices has something wrong. 

Again great to know that it works now, you can enjoy the internet with the Deco units. 

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Cannot open ports on Deco 9
2022-02-12 04:15:24

Wanted to chime in here because the Deco X20 DSL and probably other Deco units as well have a port forwarding issue.
I also had my Deco IP set to 192.168.68.1, Adding various ports to be forwarded did not work, I added two ports and the second one

was accepted but not just for the IP I allocated to it but also on another IP for another computer as well. I am also in the process of

changing the IP of the Deco (192.168.1.1) removing everything and trying it as OP did.

TP-LINK you need to take a very serious look at your port forwarding code.. Please reply and get on this ASAP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15101

Replies: 30

Tags

Related Articles