Lots of problems - router or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-12 17:48:56 - last edited 2019-11-13 01:28:32
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm not particularly techie so please bear with me as I don't know what info is relevant...

We had problems with our Apple products (SE and X - subsequently SE is now 6S but still having problems, iPad pro, Macbook - phones worst though).  Issues were problenms connecting, and things timing out, or websites starting to load (small bit of blue line appearing) then getting stuck.  This was with plusnet fibre business and their router.  Decided it was probably the router since we had also had problems previously with apple products and a BT hub 5 (which looks exactly the same as the plusnet router).   So after looking at reviews bought a TP LINK Archer VR400.  

In all honestly, if there is any improvement it is minimal, still having problems with the iphones, which is immediately cured by switching off wifi and going to mobile data.  Used the mobile speedtest app and it almost always seems to come back with OK speeds, although it takes a while to start up, then does a low ping (20) the curve starts low then increases to steady.  Most recently I noticed the mobile app had a rating for jitter which I gogoled and seems high (it doesnt record it on thr results but think it was at about 300 - just did it and only 0.71 now, but problems not happening).

However, now getting new problems, for the last few months, regularly b ut intermittently having problems with lots of apps which feel like they are ones which communicate boith ways. like video calling, app store, email.  All giving variations of cannot connect to server.  It's getting extremely frustrating.  I've tried phoeing TP link, but they just tell me to go to livechat, I fill in the form and press the chat button, and nothing happens (like the button doesn't work).

I feel really stuck and don't know where to find answers, using zoom is a huge part of my business so I do need to get it fixed, but I'm a sole trader and don't know who to ask! 

Thanks for your help!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Lots of problems - router or not?
2019-11-14 10:08:01

@techchallenged 

We will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it.

What is the current network diagram? And what is the operation mode of the Archer VR400? 

When these issues happen, what is the LED status of the Archer VR400? And please login to the web UI of VR400 and get a full screenshot of the advanced-status page.

With your computer connected to the modem directly, bypass the Archer VR400, do you have the same issue? 

Have you ever tried to change some wireless settings of the router, like wireless channel and channel width? 

And try to change the DNS server under advanced-network-internet/LAN settings page. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Lots of problems - router or not?
2019-11-14 15:49:22 - last edited 2019-11-14 15:50:53

@techchallenged 

Does this problem happen with non-apple products too?  Do you have any to test?

Is it possible to connect something with a wired connection and see if you still have the same problems?  Then you can see if its an internet connection or WiFi issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 796

Replies: 2

Related Articles