Deco M9 select source signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 select source signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
62 Reply
Re:Deco M9 select source signal
2021-09-13 14:49:40 - last edited 2021-09-13 14:50:56

@TP-Link Just get a manual override for selecting signal source in the next firmware. I need it asap.

Pseudo code:

SignalSource = mainUnit;

if (SelectedByUser != null)

{

SignalSource = SelectedByUser;

}

Options
2021-09-15 02:03:44

@TP-Link 

Hello - what is the staus of this firmwear? When will it get promoted from beta and be the next automatically updated firmware? Somehow when I was upgrading to the beta version, my main M9Plus got put on a 2018 version of the firmware. I had to reinstall the default firmware to restore it. It would be better if you can just promote this version out of beta so we can all use it without having to jump through so many hoops. Thank you.

Options
2021-09-16 03:04:01 - last edited 2022-11-30 02:02:12

@babaganoosh 

Hi, You could have a look at this link about why satellite Deco units tend to choose the main Deco.

[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection

Is there any issue when the satellite Deco is not connected to the nearest Deco, like unstable connection, or slow speed?

And Could you please share some pictures about your floor map and the signal source on the satellite Deco which is not linked to the correct Deco?

Options
2021-09-16 15:26:25

@TP-Link 

Thanks for the link and explanation. 

The configuration is one Deco M9Plus per floor. The main deco is on the first floor (deco A), one satellite on the second floor (deco B), and one satellite on the third floor (deco C).

The optimizer connects deco C to deco A, and the signal strength is one bar (orange color). Deco B connects to deco A and has two bars (light blue). 

My computer connects to deco C, and oftentimes I get "Your Internet Connection Is Unstable".     For some users, reliability and stability may be more important than the "speed" the network optimizer uses to determine connections.   So, being able to "override" what the optimizer chooses will be beneficial for users.

Due to the instability, I would like Deco C to connect to Deco B, and use Deco B's improved connection to Deco A (the main deco).

Options
2021-10-19 16:29:31

@tplink  any updates on this issue?  I had to resort to running a wire (and directly connecting a wired router!) since the instability was too much.  Defeats the purpose of having a "mesh" wifi system.

Options
2021-11-14 10:48:14 - last edited 2021-11-14 10:48:47

Hi,

I've just purchased the Dec M9 + set of 3. I have a TP Link Archer AX6000 as the main router, connected to a modem to fibre broadband to the internet. Although the Archer is a good product still getting issues with streaming audio to my network streamer which is 15 metres away as affected by neighbours' wifi mesh systems.

So decided to go for the Deco M9 set of 3. All Decos are on the same floor, the main deco is in the lounge, connected to the Archer router by ethernet cable, the second 5 metres away in the next room (one wall in between), the third 5 metres from the second (one wall in between).

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as many people are having - the third deco by the streamer is linking to the deco in the lounge (even though the signal is showing as very weak) instead of the one in the next room only 5 metres away. The signal strength of the Deco system in the room with the streamer is far weaker than the signal from the Archer router. I can't select which Deco the third Deco uses as it's source.

I'm really surprised and frustrated that the third deco is sourcing from the main one, furthest away (which actually shows on Deco's own app as having a very weak signal). I can't see the point of this system if it can't source from the nearest deco with the strongest signal. Is there any software update due to fix this for the M9 plus? If so when? I note as of today the app says I have the latest software. I need to know soon otherwise I can't return the product for a refund. Thanks

Options
2021-11-14 14:39:40 - last edited 2021-11-14 14:42:53

@TP-Link 

Selecting the source manually needs to be addressed now as it has been a known issue for users since 2019.
Simply stating that the node should normally use the strongest wireless connection that it can find does not suffice.

Asking for layout of the node does not suffice.

Manually selecting the source signal will, because we as issuers know which connection is the best.

#decosignalproblem #decoweaksignal

All threads relating to this:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/215924?page=5
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/253374
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/173748
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/247188

Options
2021-12-06 06:18:11

@TP-Link 

I have firware 1.5.2 installed and I have the same issue. When I optimise it says it's "Perfect" but it is connecting to the unit with the weakest signal. It makes no sense to connect to the Main unit when there is one closer that will provide a faster connection. At the moment there is zero benefit running a mech system, I have the same issue i wanted to solve where one end of the house has poor connectivity. 

Please consider a manual connection model ASAP.

Options
2021-12-11 17:48:10

@TP-Link 

I have three m9 plus in my three-story house.  They are essentially stacked one upon the other.

The third floor will only connect to the master on the first floor, rather than the slave on the 2nd floor.

I took the 2nd floor router into a far room (not directly on top of the master) and then brought the third floor router into that room, removed it and tried to reinstall within inches of the 2nd floor router - so it's as far as possible from the master, and basically touching the slave.  It still connects to the master, a floor below and across the house.

I installed the m9 beta update mentioned previously in this post, ran the optimization test, and it still connects to the master.

It's ridiculous to have the 3rd floor connecting to the first floor when I installed a 2nd floor router directly between them for this very reason.  Internet up there is so slow because of this, rendering most activities, from watching streaming tv to working from home impossible.

HELP!

Options
2021-12-13 06:18:02

@TP-Link Is signal source selection ever going to come? This request is already open for several years for several different deco systems. I want to expend my network, but without signal selection this is useless with the TP deco systems, so I would need to change to a different mesh router system

Options
Related Articles