iPhone iOS14 recognizing the range extender wireless network as "weak security"

iPhone iOS14 recognizing the range extender wireless network as "weak security"

116 Reply
Re:iPhone iOS14 recognizing the range extender wireless network as "weak security"
2020-12-20 17:14:44

@Solla-topee Any firmware update for RE200 V2?

Options
WPS PIN active and cannot be turned off
2020-12-21 05:25:07

@Nobbi 

I did not do much testing, but it seems to me that when the device is in extender mode and advertises the same SSIDs as the original AP, clients are not offered the possibility to authenticate using a PIN. I might be wrong... I have verified though that when the extender advertises new SSIDs, the PIN is an authentication option.

Options
Re:iPhone iOS14 recognizing the range extender wireless network as "weak security"
2020-12-22 15:50:25

@Solla-topee what about a (beta) firmware update for RE305 v1 (EU)? do you have an ETA for a release date? thanks

Options
2020-12-23 04:57:45

saisrujan wrote

TP-Link wrote

@Street65 

Hi, all!

Good news. The beta firmware to fix the weak security issue for RE450 v3 has been released:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201210/RE450_V3_201209.zip

Please feel to update here if there is any issue after the firmware update.

Thank you very much.

@TP-Link Thanks for sharing the beta firmware.

The firmware fixed the issue and now the extender is not using TKIP anymore, and the whole network is using AES. But the issue is that after a few hours, any devices connected to the extended network loses internet connectivity. I see something like the following:

I still can access the local network but I can't access the internet. Devices connected to the base network continue to work fine and the issue is only with the extender. The only way to fix this is to restart the extender. It's hard to figure out when this happens, sometimes happens in an hour after restart, sometimes it takes 8 hours so it is unreliable. Unless this is fixed, I can't really use the extender because I am getting dropped off from calls and video conferences, and for reliability I have to connect to the base network and that slows me down and defeats the purpose of buying this extender. 

@TP-Link Did your team investigate this? Why does the extender blocks internet connection while it allows local network? There is no clue anywhere that something is wrong, except that the internet doesn't work when the device is connected to the extender. Why is this happening? 

Options
WPS PIN active and cannot be turned off
2021-01-08 19:14:33

@Ghneuma 

I just went through some tests with the repeater and the new firmware (and the problems with it). WPS is always active, whether it is the SSID of the main network or a custom one. I only got the WPS turned off by switching to AP mode beforehand and disabling the WPS there. This configuration is apparently retained when you then switch back to repeater mode.

With kind regards
nobbi

Options
Weak security RE450 v1
2021-01-10 19:16:26

I have 3 x TPLINK RE450 v1, one belongs to my neighbour although I manage it for them, these are also showing "weak security" when using iPad or iPhone. I was very surprised to see mention of various other devices with this issue but non for the RE450 v1 a device many others in the UK have access to and which is still available here to buy new.

Again a software update is also required for this popular device as a matter of urgency.

Thank you.

Options
2021-01-12 19:03:21

@Solla-topee 

I need firmware update for RE500 range extender as it has weak security issues just like other tp-link extender.

Can you post a link where I can download ?

Options
2021-01-27 13:21:35

@Solla-topee is there any update for RE455v1?

Options
2021-01-27 14:57:11

@yaroslavpp Hi there.

Go online to TP-Link.com and find the User Guide for the RE455 v.1

Go to Chapter 5 Manage your extender.

Section 4 Upgrade the Firmware. Then follow the instructions to upgrade.

The upgrade is best done with the extender linked directly to your computer via an Ethernet cable and the system then uses the extender's own internet connection. After I downloaded the software and rebooted, I actually had to reset the extender using the reset hole on the extender itself.

Having done all this my iOS phone and iPad no longer give the weak security message.

I must add that my extender is the RE350 v3 and I have no idea if the firmware upgrade on the 455 v1 will be successful.

Options
2021-01-27 15:26:10

@The_Highlander  Hello i have a TL-WA855RE 5.0 wifi extender and im getting the weak security problem when trying to connect to my iphone and ive tried resetting it and restarting it but nothing is working my hardware version is 1.0.0 Build 191219 Rel.51831n (8583) this problem started yesterday and when i go to the web version and login it says no internet but its connected to the router and everything else is fine. Is there an update i can do to fix these problems?

Options