Manual Band Selection for 4G WiFi Routers

Manual Band Selection for 4G WiFi Routers

302 Reply
Re:Manual Band Selection for 4G WiFi Routers
2021-05-29 07:50:15

@Kevin_Z 

Any possible firmware which allows me manual band selection.

Model: Archer MR400 v1

Firmware Version:1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 181112 Rel.65058n Hardware Version:Archer MR400 v1 00000001 

Options
2021-06-02 22:03:08

@Kevin_Z 

I have several problems with the beta firmware for band selection on MR600v1

- LTE+ doesn't work anymore. I can only use B3 or B20, but not both together, regardless of the setting

- WiFi often disconnects

- Web interface is unstable, sometimes locks up and can't access it anymore, then I have to restart the router

- Sometimes login is not possible. After I login nothing happens, and when I try to login again, I get this error message:

Options
2021-06-03 07:30:17

@Baenz 

I previously thought the band issue was resolved, as you mentioned you just want to use band 3 in the below thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/241534?replyId=598626

So your requirement changes now? You need to be more precise when describing the actual issue or request to speed up the whole process.

Have you ever tried to reset the router to factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch, check again if the wireless connection is more stable?

How many devices are connected to the router network most of the time? When you cannot access the router web GUI, can you still ping it from the devices connected to it?

Options
2021-06-03 09:20:54

@Kevin_Z 

No I am just annoyed by that expensive garbage product that is 2 years on the market and still has no stable firmware that fixes the multiple long known issues.

6 Wireless devices are connected 24/7

The web interface locks up, but the router still responds to ping

Options
2021-06-04 09:00:41

@Kevin_Z Hello,

My MR6400 has been dropping its 4g connection for a good while and the only fix is to reboot it. After googling I found this community page and a link to the beta firmware.

As the firmware allows you to schedule I reboot I thought that would do the trick so I created a backup of the router, downloaded the beta and uploaded that.

When it rebooted it had the beta watermark on the page but all of the details were reset...I thought, no problem, understandable.

However lots of the settings are missing i.e. I can't even setup a 4g connection as when I click the link on the menu, the page is just blank.

I thought ok no problem, didn't work I'll just put my old firmware back....so tried to upload it but when I click the upload I get "page cannot be found". So now I have a router which is totally useless because I can't put my old firmware back or any other firmware as the firmware upload page doesn't work :(

I've just ordered a new router off amazon, setting me back around £100 all because the firmware upload page has stopped working which as you can imagine is a little disappointing.

I'm assuming all I can do now is put the old router in the bin? which again is going to annoy me because I know it'll just end up in landfill :( I'd rather send it back to TP link so it could be repurposed and given to someone who needs it.

Thanks,

Mike

Options
2021-06-08 16:38:00

@Kevin_Z 

Any firmware update which allows me manual band selection for the below model ?.

Model: Archer MR400 v1

Firmware Version:1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 181112 Rel.65058n Hardware Version:Archer MR400 v1 00000001 

Options
2021-06-09 03:34:01

@ravikrak 

Hi, as just replied on your thread, the MR400 V1 seems to be an old version, which was released years ago, we cannot guarantee that there will be a new firmware for it to allow the band selection.
However, you can check this with the local tech support to confirm if they could advise.

Options
2021-06-12 09:52:55 - last edited 2021-06-12 16:10:16

There is a new firmware dated June 10th 2021 for MR600 v1 on the webserver

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-mr600/v1/#Firmware

Does it include band selection?

Changelog:
- Modifications and Bug Fixes

- Fixed compatibility issue with Bouygues in France

- Updated ISP file version to 21052700

Edit: Doesn't look like :( Still no band select in regular firmware. Or the option is hidden somewhere else?

Options
2021-06-15 19:21:28

@kernash 

Thanks for checking. They didn't move it from Basic to Advanced settings by any chance?

Options
2021-06-15 20:57:36

@sonicview 

My experience with MR6400 V5 is after all positive, with the latest beta with the time-stamp 2020-12-08 at the end of the file name.

Before the beta I faced the same issue that router rarely connected to 4G.

It is actually not these router's fault, mostly.

The device chooses the mast and band with the strongest signal, no matter how crowded or inferior bandwidth it transmits.

The bands at lower frequences (especially ex-GSM freqs like B20) spread easier and further, therefore it has better signal strength, however it tends to be less speedy and more crowded anyway as most devices in the area find it to be the strongest signal.

I doubt that reboot of the router would be the remedy.

With manual band selection I was able to test each available band's behavior in the location and chose the one with the best speed, not the strongest signal.

It should be at least at 50% or rather 75% to be steady though.

Recently I installed the app Cellmapper on my smartphone and checked the connection in several places I tend to visit and it went crazy on my phone showing switching between masts all the time. Sometimes it chose a distant mast instead of the closest with stronger signal.

So, don't immediately blame your router, your mobile service provider has a lot to do with this, it can use some obscure algorithm to distribute clients between masts.

I suggest you to reset your router (maybe multiple times) before trying the firmware upgrade or downgrade. Also try different browsers to enter the configuration page.

Options
Related Articles