RE650 dropping 2.4Ghz devices randomly but 5Ghz is OK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-19 04:11:16
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20201112 Rel. 66232

I recently added an RE650 to my network. It is connected to my TP-Link router with a cable. The router is in the basement. The RE650 is in Access Point mode and it's on my main floor in a central location.

I have several devices in my small home connected to the RE650 via 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

The devices on 5 Ghz seem fine.

The devices on the 2.4 Ghz network drop very often. Sometimes they are fine for a few hours; but sometimes they drop every 5 minutes, even if they are only 10 feet away.

I have taken the 2.4 Ghz network off of AUTO channel, and I have tried selecting different channels but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I am using a WiFi Analyzer app on my phone to see the other networks available in the air, and I see my neighbours all have their on 2.4 networks which all overlap. I've tried picking channels the fewer people are on, but my 2.4 still drops.  I can see my network appear in the list, and then it's randomly gone for a few minutes, and then it randomly comes back for a few minutes.

Any thoughts on why this happens?

Is there any way to track down what the problem might be?  Like is there some kind of log on the device which can tell me WHY it's dropping the devices off of 2.4 randomly?

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE650 dropping 2.4Ghz devices randomly but 5Ghz is OK
2021-04-23 08:29:19

@Maniac Good day, 

Thank you very much for your detailed information.Can you help confirm some details for this pronlem: 

>For " I can see my network appear in the list, and then it's randomly gone for a few minutes, and then it randomly comes back for a few minutes."

Do you mean the WiFi name disappear for few mins/ is there any Error message on 2.4Ghz/ WIFI connected but No Internet ? 

What is the IP address/ gateway of the 2.4Ghz wifi at that time? https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2853/

> How about the 2.4Ghz WiFi led on your range extender when issue occurs? Does connection recover by itself or require a reboot?

> Does all the WiFi device have lost 2.4Ghz wifi at the same time? Is there any large download/ streaming that may trigger this issue? 

What are the WIFI clients that connected to 2.4G

> When did you buy this range extender and when did the issue happen? 

If possible, when problem happens, you could login to range extender web page, and go to settings --system--system log , and save the log file for us, many thanks. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2853/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 452

Replies: 1