VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

206 Reply
Showing Connecting then hangs
2024-05-02 21:17:32

@chiphead 

I never was able to get the L2TP/IPSec to work.  Working with senior tech support I was given an update to the firmware for Wireguard.  This works hit and miss.  It connects fine to some sites but not consistent.  I'll try the L2TP/IPSec with the new firmware and see if there are any better results.  I'm happy that the OVPN works for you now..

Options
Re:VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working
2024-05-08 16:24:17

@Kevin_Z 

Hello, 

Model: Archer AXE5400   

Hardware Version: V1

Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 20231115 rel.37295(4555)

I am trying to connect to vpn using open vpn method on the vpn client on the router but it keeps in connecting status forever, i have tried the open vpn file on my laptop and it is working fine with successful connection.

could anyone help here.

Options
2024-05-10 16:57:32

@AQRA1988 

In my .ovpn file I had to delete the line "allow-compression no"

Options
2024-05-12 09:38:07

Hi

I am using, TP Link AX5400 Wi-Fi 6 Router(Archer AX73 v2.0, 1.1.0 Build 20240323 rel.70541(5553) ).
The router is behind a multi-wan switch (TP Link TL-R470T+) which is connected to 2 ISP The load balancer is enabled (Enable Application Optimized Routing + Enable Bandwidth Based Balance Routing on port(s) -> tried all the 4 combinations)

The issue I am facing is openVPN is stuck in connecting, its works vpnbook provider but not works for OpenVPN vpnjantit,
The issue am getting from server-side log is Multiple simultaneous connections using the same ovpn profile are not allowed
And I am seeing 2 connections established from same IP address, even though I enabled Enable Application Optimized Routing 
I also tried to connecting AX5400 router directly to a single modem, there also vpnjantit is not working.
& all the *.ovpn config file are working on android OpenVPN client

Thanks

Options
2024-05-19 00:22:08

Table  

hi!!  I've got a question why my set up shows so much variability in Wifi and VPN.  I was wondering if you could help? Let me explain.

I've set up a home network as follows:

* Virgin Media modem (UK) ->TPLink AXE5400 -> TL-SL2428P Switch -> 2 separate EAP653 access points

This is a recently refurbished home, so I have ethernet cables running everywhere from bedrooms, office to security cameras and TV into the Switch.

There is a wifi coming from the router (which was standard TPLink and all appliances are connected to) and 2 Wifis I set up in the access points: one for adults and one for kids to help reach the garden and Wifi dead spots.

The access points are powered  by 100Mbps POE port, while the rest of the house is normal 1000Mbps.  That's the reason I want to keep the router Wifi for now if I can (not sure why POE is only on slower ports).

I set up Nord VPN in the router, and in my Omada controller it shows both switch and Wifi are in the VPN.  However the router settings show that it is connected to the normal Virgin Media server.  

Also different Wifis show different IP addresses (see table above)

Wifi origin:

Adult / Kids: Access Point

Router / Guest: Router

Questions:

1. Why is the router identifying itself with the Virgin Media IP address when it is connected to the VPN?

2. Why are the PC and mobile phones seeing different IP addresses?

Basically I want the whole house going through the VPN but I think I messed up somewhere.  I'd like to keep the router Wifi if possible since otherwise I need to buy a POE adapter for the 1000Mbps ports.

Sometimes I get an "operation failed" message in the router system in the VPN section and the whole page is blank (all VPN settings not loaded etc) but the VPN still works!  Not sure if this means anything.

Any insight appreciated as I've gotten as far as I can with Youtube videos and 3 kids around.

Thanks

Options
2024-05-20 09:51:02

@pacha75 

Thank you for posting in our community.

1. Why is the router identifying itself with the Virgin Media IP address when it is connected to the VPN?

The AXE5400 router works as the gateway in your network, and the VPN functionality of typical NAT devices only works within the LAN but not the WAN. All the traffic originating from the router's WAN, such as interactions with the internet service provider (ISP) device, bypasses the VPN and directly exits through the WAN interface. This behavior is considered normal.

2. Why are the PC and mobile phones seeing different IP addresses?

As you described, there are at least three different wireless networks and it's possible that the mobile phones and PCs are switching between these wireless connections when you are moving around. If these devices utilize randomized MAC addresses when connecting to different networks, the VPN connection will identify them as separate devices since it relies on MAC addresses for device identification. To determine whether your mobile phones and PCs are using randomized MAC addresses, you can refer to this guide for instructions.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Related Articles