Troubleshooting What if the Range Extender keeps losing connection?
This Article Applies to:
All TP-Link range extenders
- Range extender keeps losing connection from main router (Wi-Fi or Signal Led goes off).
- Wi-Fi or Signal Led stays ON, but range extender has unstable issue.
1. Ensure the main Wi-Fi network on the router is stable first.
2. Ensure the range extender is on the latest firmware:
Upgrade firmware for RE on Tether app or download the latest firmware from TP-Link Download Center for your model.
3. Turn off Wi-Fi optimizing, Band-steering (Smart Connect/ Whole-Home Wi-Fi) features on routers as guide below:
4. Try a different Wi-Fi channel on router:
Scan for nearly Wi-Fi channels using Wi-Fi analyzer app or software and select a less crowded channel for router.
5. (for dual-band RE uses both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Bands)
Enable high speed mode : connect the extender to the main router through (5 GHz) and the extender to your devices through (2.4 GHz) or vice versa.
How to configure High Speed Mode in my Range Extender
(Blue UI) https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/943/
6. Check the LED status on RE when RE loses Internet.
Case 1: Wi-Fi Led or Signal Led stays ON when issue happens:
Turn ON RE’s DHCP Server, set up a static IP and smaller IP address pool for RE as the instruction here:
Case2: Wi-Fi Led or Signal Led goes OFF when issue happens
Locate RE closer to router and place range extender in a good location as this guide:
If the issue persists despite the above steps, please Start a New Thread for your range extender with case details (steps you've tried) and we'd love to look into that further:
1. Led status on RE when issue happens.
2. Try to log in range extender web page when issue occurs and share a photo of Status page.
3. How often does RE lose Internet and how to recover, like reboot RE or reboot router?
4. Brand and model of router & Network topology, e.g. Router AX1500 <wireless> RE450.
5. Firmware and hardware version of RE: How to find the hardware and firmware version of my TP-Link device?
6. For dual-band extender, verify if the problem is with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or both.
7. When did you buy the extender, and how long has it been working fine with the same router?
8. Does the issue particularly happen during in certain/ large-traffic network activities, like P2P download, streaming, or gaming?