Deco M9 plus needs to be able to select wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-03 13:16:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Deco M9 plus does not support the ability to select a wifi channel. The automated algorithm always selects the most congested network and not the least used. I end up with everyone in my neighborhood using the same channel as a result I see performance issues. 

When will the deco M9 firmware be updated to allow us, your customers to select our preferred channel? 

There are several threads on this topic with NO response from TPLink. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus needs to be able to select wifi channel
2022-02-08 08:06:32

@TWPS 

Hi, actually we have made a clear statement about the feature request to allow manually selecting the channel and channel width.

This request has been refused and there is no plan to allow manually selecting the channel.

Since there is no intention to add this feature, if users have any performance issues about the channel, I hope you could provide more details about what the problem is.

So that the engineers could help us check whether it is related to the channel and provide a suitable solution.

Options
2022-02-09 09:41:24

@TWPS That is true, Actually all cheap TP-Link routers can do that.

So you can expect firmware for that after 5-6 years, if TP-Link decide. 

M9 Plus is just expensive piece of plastic.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-02-11 18:22:09

@Momcho You are 100% correct about about the expensive piece of plastic!

I spent over 2 hours on a remote desktop session with TP Link support last night. I accomodated their "24/7" support, that only work during their local hours of business which is ahead by 11 hours time difference. Here's a rundown of how that went.

It has taken over 1 year to get to the support session last night. Yes, I raised this issue when the latest firmware was released. 1.5

This FW upgrade casued severe latency on my network. I have no explanation, nor does TP Link support, but there is a delay in processing any data sent across their network. (I stream music to a Sonos speaker, it takes 15-20 seconds to start, Ring cameras are delayed in notifying and recognizing motion/doorbell rings/etc. by 15-20 seconds, and the list goes on and on... TV, Theromostat, lights, home security, etc.) I even see email delivery delays to wifi connected devices vs hardwired or devices on other wifi networks, home schooling and remote work all experience network issues.

During troubleshooting the rep turned off my wifi without asking, and changed my ISP router wifi to test. This has caused my home security system to still be off-line 16 hours later... Not to mention a major mess of devices. I'll deal with this, but I was not happy they did what they wanted with no communication or request for permission. 

Long story very short. My Deco M9 Plus kit has an issue and needs to be replaced. They recommended I buy something newer, like the X20 or X60 solution. Yes, please spend more money with us even though we provide poor support and there is no delivery of new features, etc. I can tell you this is not going to happen. I am done with TP Link, the horrible support and lies about their products. I mean a simple your product is out of warranty buy a newer version statement does not sit well with me, especially after waiting more than 1 year for support to finally have time to work with me! Had this happened, I likely would have still been in support and been able to replace my defective units. Not even a sorry, here's a discount code for new product... 

During the conversation, he mentioned anti-virus and parental controls cosnume too much CPU and need to be disabled. The reason I bought this kit was for parental controls! I mentioned the wifi channel selection, this will likely never be delivered due to CPU constraints on the older Deco's. 

Where am I today? My M9's are in simple AP mode which has reduced latency a small amount. Still not perfect. 

I will be trying to fix my messd up network for the remainder of today. I will be disabling TP Link 100% and using my ISP's wifi router while I search for a replacement whole home solution. I really wish the new Google nest had a wired backhaul network!

So folks, good luck with your TP Link over priced plastic. I'm sorry I wasted my money here and have learned enough to boycot this company, not that me walking away will effect their business, but it is all I can do now. 

Options
2022-02-11 20:42:40

@TWPS Hello TWPS,

Thank you very much for your reply.

First of all, I want to say that such posts from other users make me know that I am not the only one with a problem, as TP-LINK claims.

Second, congratulations on having a remote session. They promise me too, but I'm not surprised it won't happen soon. Like most things they say, this is a scam.

About the support - they have a local support, but let me tell you my expirience today with it:

- It is not in my native language is in country near mine.

- They don't have a clue what they are talking about, and they say "If you are not satisfied with TP-Link, just buy something else".

Here is my expirience from today:

1) I contacted them with LiveChat from the page. It appeared in different language, but this is OK for me.

Asked first question: "How to daisy chain my Decos" with very polite comrade. They sent me a link and banned me!

- I wrote them on Facebook why they banned me, and they (answer week after week, slwoer than the global support) wrote that it was "technical problem". Talked to LiveChat support (the service that they are using) and they said if the message is "The user is banned", as it is, that means that somebody (Nicolae from TP-Link Romania) banned me for some reason.

Honestly, I don't know why is the reason, just asked a question.

When I told to @TP-Link all these things and since I have screen recording of the chat (I informed them about that), they claimed after few arguments from my side, that they banned me, because they answered my questions.

2) During this time I tried to contact the "hotline". It said that the number is not existing. This is what they later said about that:

"The hotline was down because of a damaged fiber optic cable from ISP. They did their best to replace it as soon as possible, so now the call center is operational. This depends on our ISP, not on TP-Link, please understand"

Also they stated later: "Yes, is still a hotline. Technical problems can happen, which depend on other companies"

(have email with that, I informed them that I will forward it to the forum and my lawyer)

3) I entered from 4G into the LiveChat again (gues what.. it is working from there) and asked my questions again. Gave negative rating and the employee told me, she will ban me again, because I gave negative rating. Can you imagine that?

4) Most funny of all was when the support sent me an article in TP-Link site, when she said "Network Mesh" and "TP-Link Mesh" (also "zigbee" and "TP-Link Zigbee") are not the same things. And guess what - in the article was written that they should be able to daisy chain.

After that, she said multiple times to change my rating. Here is a few things, said from the local support from the chat and email, just to know what their level of "support" is:

"Also, please stop requesting functions or services we do not claim we offer. Please consult the public manuals, guides and product descriptions in order to check the complete functions for your product"

"Please note that the function you requested is not described on the box or in product’s manual. We did not state that you can manually select the source of the signal."

"The chat was closed because your questions have been already answered before. We also have to provide help to other customers – we hope you can understand" - I am not sure what they mean by "support"

"In the manual, is not written that you can select the signal source. If you were not sure, you could have asked about this function before choosing this product"

"If you had other questions, you should have asked them. But your conversation was about previous questions, that were already replied"

"M5 is our most used product, so our R&D team decided to update only M5"

5) I asked them multiple times to send me the transcript of the chats, because I have only screen recordings + the interface was in Romanian, which I can't understant and they said then can't, because they don't have an access. Asked LiveChat about that too, and guess what - they can...

So don't be sorry, because local support is people who just use our money to do nothing.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-02-11 20:44:08

@TWPS P.S. What country do you live on, can we make a class lawsuit agains them, becuase this is misleading advertisment and lack of the support in the legal deadlines?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 657

Replies: 5