XE75 clients dropping off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-05 03:27:35
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest version as of posting

Hi, I recently upgraded my router to a 2 pack of the Deco XE75, mainly because I run a lot of smart home devices in my home and my Archer AX10 and two extenders were beginning to struggle with the number of clients on the network.  I have approximately 55 clients connecting via wifi and another 5 ethernet clients.  Most of them are smart home devices, but also include laptops and home computers.  So far, I'm very pleased with the results from using the XE75.  

However, the main reason I chose the XE75 was because it could apparently handle 200 clients on the network.  My problem is that only about 45-51 of those clients seem to be able to connect to the network at any one time.  The others are highlighted in gray as not connected in the Deco app.  It's not any particular client.  Some are smart locks and cameras, but also less often, my laptops.  I'm puzzled why when I'm nowhere near the threshold of the devices' capabilities.  Rather frustrating is when a smart lock disconnects when I'm arriving home and I have to wait for the device to connect up with the wifi to give me access.  

I've tried re-booting the two XE75 devices, the firmware is up to date, the two router/access points are well positioned, the cable internet is running at very acceptable speeds (300mbps up and 10mpbs down) and none of the clients struggle when connected and I'm very happy with the video streaming improvements.  When I turn on alerts for devices going off and online, I get constant warnings on my phone that the clients are going on and off line to an almost annoying degree.  

I feel it's something in my settings that's causing this, but I've tried everything from turning off IPv6, turning off QoS and trying with and without that setting with favored devices.  But even the clients that I give preferable access to, go offline.  I don't have a guest network switched on, nor do I have any desire to do this as I need all the clients on the same wifi network.  My Wifi 6e is used as a dedicated backhaul channel.  I've checked to see if any neighoring wifi networks are interfering and they're not and the Deco is automatically switching anyway.  The Networks Diagnostics show that there isn't any channel congestion.

I'm really happy with the improvements that these devices have given to my network, but what am I doing wrong when anything between 5-10 clients are disconnecting like they do? I'm only going to add more clients to my system in the future, so I'm hoping that the XE75 will handle more as advertised, but it feels like it's kicking them off because there are too many.  Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Options
10 Reply
Re:XE75 clients dropping off
2022-12-05 03:28:49

PS, I've tried with 80mhz and 160mhz with no noticeable difference.

Options
2022-12-06 11:39:49 - last edited 2022-12-06 11:40:08

@JustinKelly 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to have a look at this link for more suggestions:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network (case3)

In case it did not help, I would also follow up on your case via email, and please check whether you have got an email from me.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-06 20:09:58

@JustinKelly 

I have been having similar issues with no solution as yet. 

Initially I also assumed it's a setting but it's not. On a daily basis devices disconnect and reconnect. It's only the devices that utilize the 2.4ghz band that's the issue for me. 

If you do find a solution please post. 

Options
2022-12-06 20:10:02

@JustinKelly 

I have been having similar issues with no solution as yet. 

Initially I also assumed it's a setting but it's not. On a daily basis devices disconnect and reconnect. It's only the devices that utilize the 2.4ghz band that's the issue for me. 

If you do find a solution please post. 

Options
2022-12-07 08:42:20 - last edited 2022-12-07 08:48:16

Thanks David, 

I've looked at that link and tried all those suggestions already.  I received your email, thank you.  I've changed the settings as you've suggested.  And while I no longer get those constant alerts that clients are repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting since turning them back on to check the changes, I still have 12 out of 60 devices currently offline.  I'm wondering if the recent firmware update has something to do with this.  But this still doesnt account for such a high number of clients staying offline.

In answer to other feedback, 80-90 percent of all the devices going offline are 2.4ghz clients.  No ethernet clients.  I've turned off Mesh for all smart home (permanently located) devices.  Beam forming off.  Fast Roaming off.  Let's see what that does.

I first encountered the problem from the moment of first setting up the Deco XE75 pair.  I had set up alerts for many of the known clients going off and online right at the beginning for security devices such as door locks and cameras, mainly to make sure I had forwarning of any connection failures in those key areas of my home.  Right then, I was constantly getting alerts for them.  I don't seem to have any now in the past hour of turning the alerts back on after making David's suggested changes.  However, as I've already said, there's still 20% of devices offline, and remaining offline while no other clients are working intermittently.

My guess it's a combination of problems.  Perhaps Mesh not being able to cope with that many devices online with the Mesh setting on, but also a problem of those clients that can physically roam by mesh struggling to keep online? 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll look forward to yours.

Justin

Options
2022-12-07 08:55:09 - last edited 2022-12-07 08:56:03

PS.  As to any suggestion from David's link that you should put some clients on a guest network. That's just not acceptable.  Firstly for interconnection purposes between my network clients, but also, it's an absurd one to suggest for a router that is expected to handle much more than it's doing right now on one single network.  So I  didn't even consider that as a solution.

Options
2022-12-07 09:02:56

PPS.  Apologies for the extra mesage.  But in anticipation of more questions, the clients that were regularly dropping off and online and the ones that tend to be predominantly offline now, their location in relation to the XE75 main router and the XE75 client appears to have nothing to do with it.  Nor does the physical structure of the house.  Many of the clients that are offline are very near to the main Deco and some others are at the building in what is a mostly open plan home.

Options
2023-01-05 07:13:08 - last edited 2023-01-05 07:29:00

@JustinKelly 

I am also having the same issue with clients dropping off. I tried the suggestion post https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/501826 and still having this issue.

I did put the decos in AP mode which seemed to fix the issue. My problem is, I didn't buy the decos to have multiple APs.....and ATT doesn't let you change your DNS, and you have to use IP Passthrough.

TP-Link: Any update on this?

Options
2023-01-16 10:54:06 - last edited 2023-01-17 10:27:21

I've also been having the same issue with my XE75's in AP Mode. For me, it is mostly ESP8266 and ESP32 devices that disconnect after a (random) while. If I disable and re-enable something like Beamforming or Fast Roaming to get the AP to restart then the devices reconnect but at some point they will disconnect again.

Options
2023-01-18 09:32:43 - last edited 2023-01-18 10:24:26

For anyone reading this thread, here is my most stable setup:

Fast Roaming: OFF

Beamforming: ON

Band: 2.4 GHz Only

As soon as I enable 5Ghz on the 2.4Ghz band it starts having issues.

I may try using the Guest Network for 5Ghz and see how it goes.

EDIT: After enabling 5Ghz on the guest network things started to drop off the 2.4Ghz network so I had to disabled 5Ghz.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2050

Replies: 10

Related Articles