How to force connect to a specific Deco

2022-12-15 21:50:45 - last edited 2022-12-15 21:54:02
Model: Deco X20   Deco X20-DSL  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 63997

Hi,

is there a way to force connect my Deco X20 to a specific Deco? And set it that way to stay always connected to that specific Deco? Or is there feature on way at least? It's getting kind of annoying always rebooting my Deco or block listing it.

I have Deco X20-DSL and 2x Deco X20

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Options
15 Reply
Re:How to force connect to a specific Deco
2022-12-16 07:10:36

@hiuuq 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is a feature on the way. Before it is finally released, can I have more details about your current issues so that we can check whether there would be another workaround?

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-16 08:44:20 - last edited 2022-12-16 09:08:44

@David-TP 

Hi David,

thank you for your answer. I don't think there's another workaround till the feature is available.

My main problem is when Deco unit (Study) is connected to Main Deco, my internet speed drops to 50-60 Mb/s on my Deco unit (Study). When it is connected to Bedroom Deco unit, which is closer to Study Deco unit the internet speed is around 120-150 Mb/s. Unfortunately I can't run cables around my house.

Also when Deco unit Study is connected to Bedroom unit the signal is Strong on Study Deco. And last problem I had with it beside the speed is that my Study Deco when it is connected to Main Deco sometimes disconnects. I would say that's because of that the signal is Medium, which is pretty low I would say based on the distance.

Best regards 

File:
AC22885A-18AB-44AC-8EF0-243DCC084832.jpegDownload
Options
2022-12-29 15:46:18

@David-TP 

I am also very interested in this. My problem is that my office computer (which doesn't ever move) seems to prefer a deco router that is further away than the one located in the same room. What makes it worse is that the router in the other room is a slower S4 unit (compared to the XE75 in the office) that I added to extend coverage to our back patio for rare/light use. So even if it's technically getting a better connection to the unit in the other room, it's just inherently slower.

Is there a workaround to this situation, and when might we expect the "force connect" feature? I ask because I've seen posts here going back more than two years requesting this feature.

Options
2022-12-29 19:36:45

jmarks2001 wrote

@David-TP 

I am also very interested in this. My problem is that my office computer (which doesn't ever move) seems to prefer a deco router that is further away than the one located in the same room. What makes it worse is that the router in the other room is a slower S4 unit (compared to the XE75 in the office) that I added to extend coverage to our back patio for rare/light use. So even if it's technically getting a better connection to the unit in the other room, it's just inherently slower.

Is there a workaround to this situation, and when might we expect the "force connect" feature? I ask because I've seen posts here going back more than two years requesting this feature.

@jmarks2001 

There is a workaround if your PC Network Adapter supports "Preferred Band" and "Roaming Aggressiveness". Here is an example:

You should set Preferred Band to 5G, and also Roaming Aggressiveness to maximum. This will force your PC to frequently scan for nearby Deco nodes and to connect on faster but shorter range WiFi5 to the nearest Deco unit it can find.

Options
2023-04-29 05:38:18

@David-TP 

Hi,

is there any update on feature request: Set the linked Deco that satellite Deco connects to for Deco-X20.

I'm still experiencing issues when my satellite Deco connects directly to Main Deco instead to the satellite one. But after few latest updates the performance seems to get even worse especially in speed.

Will be the feature available at least some day? Thank you for your answer in advance.

Best regards 

hiuuq

Options
2023-05-20 15:29:45

People are asking for this feature for years now. I will never buy any Tp-link products as you suck developing software for them and treat users really poorly. Very disappointed.

Options
2023-07-30 04:07:23
i do need this feature too. please help
Options
2023-08-05 22:19:10 - last edited 2023-08-05 22:19:43

@David-TP 

This is infuriating. Certain devices keep switching to the furthest away router in my home. And of all the devices to do it, it's my PC and phone... the two I most need to have the fastest and strongest connections. Please provide us a timeline of said update asap. I'm about to move onto another brand and never consider TP-Link again. 

Options
2023-08-18 13:16:26 - last edited 2023-08-18 13:18:10

@hiuuq 

I've been waiting for this feature for three years...

It is the classic case: the Deco at my office prefers to link with the main Deco, which is more distant than another Deco auxiliary unit. This impairs stability and speed of the connection. All of them are AC1200 (E4R) type. 

A poor solution is to re-initialize the net or one of the Deco units, again and again, until the required net configuration is done. I have to cross my fingers at each re-initialization...

To make things worse, power outages are relatively common here, in the countryside, so net configuration is lost with frequency.

Options
2023-10-07 21:52:55 - last edited 2023-10-13 23:21:59

@David-TP 

I don't have a fiber broadband, but good 5G GSM availability. So I purchased an X80-5G, and placed it where the 5G network is strongest.

... but the wifi signal from there is extremely weak at my home office, so let's go mesh. But, being weak wifi from the x80-5g at my home office, lets get something extra in between, and to be extra sure, lets go with a powerline backhaul! So I got two P9. I put one with extremely good connection to the x80-5G, and the other one in the home office room. Otimism is at top after this investment. And does it work, and peroform? Yes, beautifully, as the offiice P9 connects to the other P9 (2.4GHz +5GHz + powerline backhaul) which is well connected to the x80-5G on wifi). For a while. Randomly the office P9 chooses to connect to the X80-5G directly, on a weak wifi signal, without making any use of the powerline backhaul. And work life turns into hell due to disconnected conf calls.

Sometimes I manage to get back the sought connection sequence up and running. It appears to be a game of timing unplugging and plugging back the devices in a way which has random luck. And the network stays stable for a week. Until work hell returns as the office P9 again choses to connect to x80-5G on a weak wifi signal.

I've considered putting some aluminum foil to block the office P9 from reaching the X80-5G. But really, isn't this issue a rather embarassing failure of configurability. I just want to lock the office P9 to only connect to the other P9, so it makes use of the powerline capability. Sure, if, the other P9 would be down it would be ok to connect to the X80-5G, but really, this is not high priority. Much more important to have a sound link most of the time. You can assume that a customer who has purchased powerline capable products want's to prioritize using exactly that. Please come up with some solution, unless you think it is resonable that I should regret my investments and try to block an undesired connection choice with physical interference material.

Cheers

Ted

Options