Deco M5 / slow network / DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-21 18:57:20 - last edited 2023-03-21 18:59:02
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

We have inherited 5 Deco M5's at a customer site - they are in AP mode, all connected via LAN cable to a Dlink switch. Hardware version mixed v2/v3

Internet access is via an Archer VR2800 router connected to same.

We've been having all sorts of issues with the network, high latency, unresponsive devices etc, for the last week or longer.

This has been isolated to the Decos since - when these were disconnected today - the network recovered and has been stable since.

There are no errors in any of the logs on the switch or router.

I've been over the Deco settings a dozen times. I can't see any obvious issue.

I know Dlink switches are supposed to be a problem, but DLink issued a beta firmware update to fix the IEEE1905 issue which at least allowed them to be detected when on cabled connection. 

I thought that was job done (!) but my suspicion is that either the firmware update maybe didn't work or it's thrown up another problem.

Normally I'd replace the switch to test but it's a 24 port PoE (needed for the phones....) so expensive if it doesn't work

Any suggestions ? DHCP appears to be turned off on the Decos (and my understanding is that it doesn't activate in AP mode anyway)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 / slow network / DHCP
2023-03-21 20:37:31

@mlj 

Hey

To be honest you would need to to start analysing what is going on with your network using something like wireshark to get an idea of what is causing this.  It really could be anything, but from experience of using Deco for years I have not seen it cause any issues in networks.  

When you say you are having un-responsive devices, what do you mean by this?  Do they lose DHCP?  Does traffic flow?  How are you determining high latency?    Sadly we would need a lot more info before starting to speculate what could be causing this.

Personally, I would re-add one of the Deco and monitor things, you need to look for what is causing the issues..  (DNS, Flooding, QOS, MTU settings etc) and not specifically a device.  The Deco may just be a trigger for something else, you may find adding any AP from any vendor has the same issue.

Options
2023-03-22 10:38:56

@Philbert Thanks for the reply. it's a bit difficult as I'm remote from them and of course when their internet connection drops I can't get on remotely.

Can I just confirm that in AP mode the Deco M5s definitely don't enable DHCP ? (I can see that there is a setting to manually enable smart DHCP but that shows "Disable" and is off)

Options
2023-03-23 10:21:10

@mlj 

Hey

Yes DHCP is only an option when Router mode is enabled, when in AP mode the feature is disabled.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 406

Replies: 3

Related Articles